• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OEM (or new) Alternator?

I need a new alternator and want oem quality, or better. Problem is, I can't seem to find a new one. Any ideas (aside from mean green)?

Just went through this myself not long ago, see http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1141031

tldr; Tried an Omix Ada and while it was fine for specs, it whined pretty bad. Replaced with TYC 2-13341 (available at Rock Auto) and its been great.

Powermaster, if you want to upgrade a little

Find local alternator shop. Have them rebuild an original Cherokee Nippon-Denso alternator with Japanese or German parts.

Most auto parts store alternators are "rebuilt" in China with cheap Chinese parts and no quality assurance testing. A 20% or higher failure rate right out of the box is common. Even the quality of NAPA parts is slowly slipping.

Resurrecting this old thread to avoid starting a new one. Question: does the Powermaster fit without physical alterations? Are the wiring connections compatible with the OEM harness? Thanks!

I replaced my original 92 alternator with a brand new Bosch from Napa. Works great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I replaced my original 92 alternator with a brand new Bosch from Napa. Works great.

That's all I sold at my store, rebuilt or new hardly ever had a return!

I have been running the cheapest advanced Auto for 10 years now with no issues... I guess I was one of the lucky ones.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I'll second Tim_MN's suggestion. I have a Mean Green the I took to
a local shop, they did a great job at a fraction of the cost of a new
MG alternator. Been going fine for 5 years.

Back