• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jeep won't start

FallibleXJ

NAXJA Forum User
hey folks. I've been on a road trip from CA to NY. Last night as I pulled into a hotel after driving for 11-12 hours I pulled into the awning area so I could go find a room. my electric fan didn't turn off (this has been a recurring problem) so I popped the hood and reset its relay, I have done this a few times before. When I came back out to move my jeep about 10minutes later it wouldn't fire. Turns over just fine, there is fuel pressure in the fuel rail, and the battery is putting out over 12 volts.

I had to get my jeep out from under their awning so a local truck came by and we pushed it out of the way. He tried listening for the fuel pump through the gas tank? He also tried hitting the gas tank to try "vibrating the fuel pump so it will start" I hadn't heard of either of these techniques, but hey what do I know.

I thought maybe I had pumped on of the other relays while I was in there, and it is certainly possible. I pulled out the Fuel Pump and ASD relays and reset them just as a check and still no go. I had it shut down at a rest stop about 45minutes prior to the failure and it started just fine then.

The past month or two I have been having a few odd problems, just throwing them out here too just incase it is related:

• Speedometer and RPM gauge die periodically and come back again after a few minutes
  • Cruise control dies periodically, same time as above
  • Electric Fan stays on after jeep has been shut off
  • Takes several seconds to start up some mornings

Its a 97' Cherokee

You say "reset" the relays, which makes me think you have pulled them and put them back in the same spot.

Have you tried swapping the relays?

The fan staying on sure sounds to me like a sticking relay. Check the numbers and try swapping them around--not sure on the 97 if the ASD is the same as the others. If the problem is the relays stop at a salvage yard and grab yourself a handful so you have some spares on board.

Last edited:
You could try unplugging and replugging the crank position sensor a few times to refresh the connection. Maybe corrosion over time decreased continuity. (admittedly a long shot)

x2, not all that much of a long shot. Your fan staying on may not have any relation to the no start.

It was very humid and rainy throughout the day, which could add to the corrosion. I'll check that

EDIT: This could have been a rookie mistake. Since I have been driving cross country I've had to refuel many times. Normally I put in 97 Octane, however there was once that I put in 86 octane due to availability, and a couple times I put in 89 because it was cheap (comparatively).

Last edited:
ASD relay!

Good call guys. Peace out, thanks much

Great! Hope your trip goes on w/o any more problems.

Back