• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone seen this homemade bender??

No sorry, i dont have a winch, or a front receiver hitch, so building one was never viable.
Trying to find it now, its either from pirate4x4, or more likely offroadfabnet

not sure i like the single shear design of that one. but i give a couple points for thinking outside the box. still with the small price of the JD2 model 3 i cant seem to figure out why you wouldnt just buy one. the steel, parts, and welding involved with these others just doesnt seem to be all that economical. a cool factor but thats about it. i mean they bought the dies, why not buy the less expensive part that makes the dies work? plus the resale value is still there. just sayin.

not sure i like the single shear design of that one. but i give a couple points for thinking outside the box. still with the small price of the JD2 model 3 i cant seem to figure out why you wouldnt just buy one. the steel, parts, and welding involved with these others just doesnt seem to be all that economical. a cool factor but thats about it. i mean they bought the dies, why not buy the less expensive part that makes the dies work? plus the resale value is still there. just sayin.

All very good points....

Yeah, its just cool is all. I already have a bender, (go trikes) so I dont need one, but like to see what other people come up with.

I was going to do the gottrikes bender but after the time and steel prices im just going to do the jd2 route. They have the best selection of dies and that's the main part of the bender. IMO unless you can home brew the dies a home brew bender is impractical.

if you ARE going to get the JD2, i would suggest the model 32. i have the model 3 (very old version) and wish i could upgrade. the anti spring back system is a huge plus, not to mention the model 32 can bend up to 2.50" tube, and heavier wall thickness. at only $100 more, thats a small price for the amount of extras you get.

My Go Trikes bender can and has used both the protools 105 dies, as well as the JD2 dies with no problem. When you look at it like that, you have even more options... :)

I had most of the steel already, and have a milling machine for the holes/thick plates, and a lathe to turn the pins. Just made the most sense for me. The JD2 is a VERY nice bender for the money, without a doubt.

Had it for almost 6 years now... Here it is using a JD2 die.

IMG_20120123_200711.jpg

It says specifically on is site to use protools dies. Now that I know it will accept jd2 dies I might have to rethink the idea. Thanks for posting that up.

When your drilling the holes, and turning the pins, it runs whatever die you make it. The protools and jd2 dies are just differant enough to ensure you buy from them, hence bringing down the price of the bender. They are functionally the same bender.

If you have a mill, and a lathe, and time and motivation to burn, building your own is a no-brainer. I have neither a mill, nor lathe, and feel the jd2mk3 /jd2 mk32 is the no brainer.

Last edited:
If you have a mill, and a lathe, and time and motivation to burn, building your own is a no-brainer. I have neither a mill, nor lathe, and feel the jd2mk3 /jd2 mk32 is the no brainer.

Exactly my point. Not to mention the price of steel these days, I doubt seriously you could build a Go Trikes (with new steel) for less that the cost of a JD2, especially when you factor in labor. We built two of them at the same time, so it was a little easier. It took a full stick of 2" .25" wall tube just to do it, and the thick plate is pricey too.

I picked up the thick plate cheap since you don't need very much of it.

One of them I found in the drop bins for $10 (the 5/8" piece for the tabs).

Considering the manual JD2 is still $300 without a stand or anything, I think the gottrikes is worth it considering you can bend vertically and also use a hydraulic ram (or even air/hydro which is sweet).

i used my model 3 JD2, and did a hyd conversion only cost me about 350 to go hydro, and can pul a 90 in a few seconds, its powered in/out, and has a load holding valve to help with spring back.

IMG_1649.jpg

IMG_1652.jpg

i would like to get more info on what you used for the hydro set up. i like the idea of the anti spring back. wouldnt happen to have a video on it in action do you? which pump and where did you get it?

Back