• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Got a set of the oem euro tail lights but one socket doesn't fit..

qbert2500

NAXJA Forum User
The brake and reverse fit. The signal is like the reverse pattern.
I know someone in So. Cal had a set. Anyone else? How did you modify it to fit the light?

1. dremel/file the light housing to fit the US socket?
2. dremel/file the socket to fit the euro housing?-(after looking at it I don't think this method will work).
3. some how buy the reverse socket and fit the signal to it?

I think (1) would be the best way but want top get some opinions especially from those that have already got the lights working on their rides..

108b20d5.jpg

35aeb955.jpg

Last edited:
The US signal socket is like the brake light.
I think I just need to dremel off a little out of the housing.
There is a locking lug/stop ramp so I will leave that part in place.

I'll post a how to if the other guy that has modded it doesn't chime in.
Looks fairly easy. I made a carbon template of the brake housing and put it over the signal housing.
The largest lug on the brake socket looks to be the same as the smallest lug for the signal housing.

I was thinking a few cuts and splices would be easy, cheap, and keep the (presumably) more expensive Euro housings intact. But, if you don't care about modifying them, and if it's a simple adjustment (I do not remember how the domestic sockets are arranged), then that's all moot.

I was thinking a few cuts and splices would be easy, cheap, and keep the (presumably) more expensive Euro housings intact. But, if you don't care about modifying them, and if it's a simple adjustment (I do not remember how the domestic sockets are arranged), then that's all moot.

Looking at the 2000 Parts Catalogue, there are two separate sets of tail lamp wiring listed: 56009770AB (US) and 56009642AB (Europe). Just mentioning this because it may make the whole thing plug & play.

I'm open to suggestions. I'm not in a hurry to put them in.
I've done cut and solder wiring but I have never replaced a whole lighting cable.
I think the guy that had done it before just did a little filing/dremel work. I tried to do a search but didn't find his post I think he was in san diego also with a green one but late 2000 or 2001.

This is what I think will work the stop ramp is directly on the other side of the green part I marked that would need to be cut for the US socket.
0d8539d2.jpg

I think your idea is better than mine.
I'll look for the reverse light socket and just splice that into the signal wiring and it will be gtg. :viking:

I would recomend modifying the enclosure. What if you burn out a bulb? then you gotta track down another one of these weird bulbs. What if you break the tail light? Then you gotta re splice in the stock bulb, OR buy a new euro one. I am thinking that modifying the tail light would be better in the long run.

Are you planning on connecting the rear fog lights?

I'm curious about this as well, mainly because I'm wondering if the harness already has the wiring for it run to the back. Neither the FSM or Parts Catalogue have really answered that one for me, but I'd like to know because that could be a useful 12V source for other stuff.

Not going to hook up the fog light at least not right away. If there is a way to make it low current or to use a red bulb so it doesn't look so bright and looks like a tail light then I'll do it.
Using a reverse socket should work. Not sure if it's the same bulb as the signal though.

Theres no extra wire for it on the stock us wire after taking the light off.

Last edited:
Theres no extra wire for it on the stock us wire after taking the light off.

Correct; there's no extra wiring for it at the taillights if you have the US-spec taillight harness installed.

However, from memory and looking at the Parts Catalogue, the taillight harness plugs into a wiring trunk inside the rear fender - and that wiring trunk is the one I'm wondering about. It carries the same part number for EU- or US-spec taillights, unlike the taillight harnesses themselves.

When I put my Euro OEM tails in I just took them into O'reillys and tried 1157 sockets until I found ones that fit the extra holes, then spliced them into the stock harness in parallel with the factory brake/tail socket. It works great.

ETA: When I see my Jeep again, (it's 200 mi away) I will try to remember to take a pic to post. Also if you dont want them bright, use an 1157 and only wire the running light side of the bulb, i.e. the dimmer of the two filaments.

Last edited:
Great idea, thanks!
That's how I'm gonna try to wire the lights so the fog lamp is a tail/brake also. Good to know it works.
I think the grand cherokee tail socket might work but the copper prongs make me think it is grounded to something so I'll probably have to look for something else.
I'll look for a O'reilly store I haven't been to one before. Maybe they don't have them here.
88be8c85.jpg

1d6ab9e0.jpg

Ok, so I figured I'd modify the socket for now until I have time to look for sockets, maybe at a pick a part after I figure out what I need. I don't plan on using the US lights anymore so I'll probably pick up another set of euros when I have some funds to spare..

I hand sawed one lug off. They lock up fine but aren't pointing the same direction as the other sockets. Not a issue though there is just enough wire length. I try to do thing perfect so I plan on getting the right sockets.:D
The lamps are installed and work fine.

6e9de90e.jpg

c78f5c37.jpg

b112fe8d.jpg

32e752f8.jpg

Back