• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mounting Bolt Specs for CKPS, 00XJ

CJR

NAXJA Forum User
I've been searching for the bolt specs for mounting the Crankshaft Position Sensor to the bell housing on a 00XJ. Here's what I've found:
1. Hex Bolt head size: 11mm
2. Bolt dia/thread: 1/4-10 or 7mm-?
3. Bolt length: 3/4" or 1"
Does anyone know the Mopar Part no. for a set of these CKPS mounting bolts?

Thanks in advance!

CJR

Resto'g C104(72 Commando), 88XJ, 00XJ, mod'g 91 Grand Wagoneer

Try going to the stealership with your VIN and see if they can get you a part # for those bolts. They might even be able to order some for you too. I've had to do this before with leaf springs bolts.

Even better yet though, if you can get your greasy, grimy, meat-hooks on the bolt(s) just go buy yourself a digital caliper. Even the cheapie ones from the Horror Fright work fine for what a home-gamer's gonna use them for. The next great tool to have is a metric thread-pitch gauge. It looks a tiny feeler-gauge set, but the blades look like little combs. It's used for telling you how many threads a bolt has in a set distance. (I.E. 1.5 per every 1mm of bolf length.) I've got a little cheapie one that came with my metric tap and die set. A shop ruler or a tape measure is great for measuring bolt length. Wally World sells cheapo tape measures that measures both inches and millimeters. Short of breaking a bolt/stud off in a hole, with these tools you'll never have problems with fasteners again.

I've been searching for the bolt specs for mounting the Crankshaft Position Sensor to the bell housing on a 00XJ. Here's what I've found:
1. Hex Bolt head size: 11mm
2. Bolt dia/thread: 1/4-10 or 7mm-?
3. Bolt length: 3/4" or 1"
Does anyone know the Mopar Part no. for a set of these CKPS mounting bolts?

Thanks in advance!

CJR

Resto'g C104(72 Commando), 88XJ, 00XJ, mod'g 91 Grand Wagoneer

You have all the info you need to figure this out yourself. Why would you even consider buying MOPAR factory bolts? You should be able to get these out of any parts store, $2 for a half dozen of them.

Well, these are not an exactly normal style of bolt, and I doubt you will find much at the hardware store with an 11 mm head.

That is not to say you can't find something that should work, but if you are trying to match the factory hardware I doubt you will get them anyplace besides the dealership or a junkyard.

It's a sensor, not a pressure flange. A machine screw will be fine. You don't have to get an exact match, the important bits are the thread pitch and length

I am not so sure the shoulder isn't an important part of registering its location.

If I were stuck at the side of the road I would use whatever matched pitch and length, but if I had the option of sourcing the right hardware I would.

I am not so sure the shoulder isn't an important part of registering its location.

If I were stuck at the side of the road I would use whatever matched pitch and length, but if I had the option of sourcing the right hardware I would.

Correct. This was posted by Cruiser54 over on https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/crankshaft-sensor-bolts-210565/ a few years back.

272098d1433362775-crankshaft-sensor-bolts-cps-bolts.jpg

Thank you.

I dealt with my CPS on the side of a highway with a storm coming up behind me. I wasn't bothering to take pictures, but I recall looking at those bolts and thinking "There is something special about these. It would really be a bummer to lose one of them in the process of doing this job."

Thank you.
I recall looking at those bolts and thinking "There is something special about these. It would really be a bummer to lose one of them in the process of doing this job."

Didn't know the CPS bolts were special.
Need to pick a pair, on the next junkyard run, and carry them in the spare parts box. Just in case.

Sure, I agree they are "special". But there is absolutely no reason you can't run normal machine screws with washers, so long as you're smart enough not to overtorque them.

I've done this many times on sensors when I find the original hardware is missing after buying a vehicle or component. It works just fine, and only causes a problem if I worry about it.

Back