• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Insert lockder question.

Brandon77

Member# 3846
NAXJA Member
New at this.
If i take out my axle carrier in my dana 30 and install a Spartan insert locker do i need to rear set the backlash when i install the carrier?
I already have a Detroit Ez insert locker inside that has failed... so i am just swapping out the locker for a new one. This will be my first time messing with the gears. Also is there any tips you guys have when doing this?
Thanks,
Brandon

There are great step by step videos on YouTube. Remember to use the supplied new cross pin and do not reuse the factory cross pin.

Good luck. Mine took less then 4 hours

No, cross pin The large 3/4" thick 5" long pin. The spartan comes with a new hardened cross pin, the factory one is not hardened. And I've seen them break well before the carrier

My Aussie fit right in, cross pin came in and out just fine, if it doesn't clear just grind a tiny bit of the tooth away. Been done many a time with no ill effects, seems like loosening more bolts means more places to mess up your torque specs and cause other issues... just sayin

My Aussie fit right in, cross pin came in and out just fine, if it doesn't clear just grind a tiny bit of the tooth away. Been done many a time with no ill effects, seems like loosening more bolts means more places to mess up your torque specs and cause other issues... just sayin

On what axle? I had to grind teeth to get the cross pin in my 8.25 (4:56s and No slip) but thats the only option because you cant install it with the carrier out and ring gear off.

But on a Dana 30 you have to pull the ring gear or grind teeth I guesss. If you are going to grind them, you don't want to do it with the carrier installed.... I think I would rather tourqe bolts then grind away teeth espciallly on a tiny dana 30 ring gear.

IMG_20120804_170826.jpg

Last edited:
On what axle? I had to grind teeth to get the cross pin in my 8.25 but thats the only option because you cant install it with the carrier out.

But on a Dana 30 you have to pull the ring gear or gind teeth.. I guesss and if you are going to grind them, you don't want to do it with the carrier installed....

I did the grinding method on my XJ front D30. Just removed a very small amount of material on the ring gear tooth and the pin slid right out and new one went right in. Also, IIRC, I left the OE thrust washers in the carrier when installing the Spartan as directed. I believe the Aussie requires them to be left out. If the OP's Detroit EZ locker does not require the thrust washers, he'll need to buy some for the Spartan. It will not engage right without them.

On what axle? I had to grind teeth to get the cross pin in my 8.25 (4:56s and No slip) but thats the only option because you cant install it with the carrier out and ring gear off.

But on a Dana 30 you have to pull the ring gear or grind teeth I guesss. If you are going to grind them, you don't want to do it with the carrier installed.... I think I would rather tourqe bolts then grind away teeth espciallly on a tiny dana 30 ring gear.

IMG_20120804_170826.jpg

It shouldn't affect the strength of the gear in any way by removing a little material. We did it on a buddies d30 2 years ago when installing a locker, no issues whatsoever.

Just stuff a rag in the carrier and clean it up after, you'd want to anyway to inspect it while you have it apart. But to each his own, like I said before.... its just another option if he is worried about pulling it all apart. That's all

Good stuff thanks guys.
I have heard you can do it while the carrier is still installed but if you have a lower than stock gear ration you will need to remove the ring and carrier.

I do have a new cross pin with the locker. But will i need a new roll pin?

Last edited:
I did the grinding method on my XJ front D30. Just removed a very small amount of material on the ring gear tooth and the pin slid right out and new one went right in. Also, IIRC, I left the OE thrust washers in the carrier when installing the Spartan as directed. I believe the Aussie requires them to be left out. If the OP's Detroit EZ locker does not require the thrust washers, he'll need to buy some for the Spartan. It will not engage right without them.

Good thought... i am not sure if there is thrust washers with the detroit ez locker. But i dont think the spartan locker needs the thrust washers. Correct me if am wrong.

I did a D30 lunchbox locker in a campground. Didn't pull the carrier with 3.73 gears, so the same carrier as your 4.10s.

Getting the roll pin out to release the cross shaft is the biggest PITA. Personally, I wouldn't pull the carrier unless your confident you'll get the bearing caps installed correctly. I've done it both ways and I'd rather not pull a carrier if I don't have to.

I did a D30 lunchbox locker in a campground. Didn't pull the carrier with 3.73 gears, so the same carrier as your 4.10s.

Getting the roll pin out to release the cross shaft is the biggest PITA. Personally, I wouldn't pull the carrier unless your confident you'll get the bearing caps installed correctly. I've done it both ways and I'd rather not pull a carrier if I don't have to.

That is what i was hopping for, to just do it while the carrier is still installed. I will try my best before i have to pull the carrier. I am confident i should be able to do it while in the axle... but we'll see.

When you mean the "install the cap correctly" your referring to the caps and bolts going back to the same spot they were already in?

If you do choose to pull the carrier, take a chisel and make a single mark on the top left bearing cap, and 2 marks on the top right side bearing cap. Thats what I do so you always know what way they go back on. 1 on the left 2 on the right at the top.

I can do that :thumbup:
I have marking paint as well so i can mark them 1 and 2 and a dot on top to show direction. If that's all i have to worry about that's not to hard. But not a bad idea to make a permanent mark for all of the future.

When you mean the "install the cap correctly" your referring to the caps and bolts going back to the same spot they were already in?
that and getting the proper torque on the bolts.
a good torque wrench and clean lubricated bolts.

I can do that :thumbup:
I have marking paint as well so i can mark them 1 and 2 and a dot on top to show direction. If that's all i have to worry about that's not to hard. But not a bad idea to make a permanent mark for all of the future.
paint pen will not make a decent mark.

I use a punch and put dots on them. I tried the paint pen once. It didn't go well. The metal is so saturated with oil it just wipes off when you touch it.

Back