• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sold my MJ

kyle_inreallife

NAXJA Forum User
And picked up a lovely Wagoneer. Can anyone give me any info. How similar is this to the xj/mj platform?

1987 Wagoneer Limited
f8df6cafcd6b49d67e7078c957e18629.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Only big deference as I know it is the rear suspension and how the axel attaches. Cab forward it’s a XJ and plenty of MJ guy have use 97 up front ends and electrical to update them.

To the best of my knowledge they are identical mechanically. They differ slightly in wiring harness for lights and the exterior/interior trim. An XJ is an XJ.

Cool, thanks for the info! That's what I had suspected, but I know 87 is the year it went from amc to chrystler and wasn't sure of the sj/xj changeover point. I Guess the SJ is the full size Wagoneer and XJ is what I've got?

The SJ is the full sized Jeep Wagoneer or Cherokee. The XJ is the downsized Wagoneer/Cherokee. When Chrysler took over the XJ based Wagoneer was called the Wagoneer and the SJ based Wagoneer became the Grand Wagoneer. Other than name there is no crossover between the two vehicles. I love the old SJs as they were tough as hell. Very heavy-duty throughout. I had a 1971 Wagoneer for many years and only sold it because I lost my storage for it. Your Wagoneer is the XJ based vehicle.

'87 is still AMC.

AMC or Chrysler doesn't make a difference with a SJ. My '71 had both Kaiser and Willis plates on the body. By '87 AMC was on the way out and courting Chrysler, BY the way Renault owned most of AMC at the time, and the XJ was a last ditch effort at profit and value adding to the company. At the time you could by new but several model years old CJ7s and even the occasional CJ5 from the dealers. It was a truly dark time for Jeep.

Back