• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

00 xj trans problem. Lost 3rd and OD.

Saltfisher

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, i have a problem. I have a 2000 XJ. Was cruising on the highway and all of a sudden everything went to neutral. I thought my buddy hit the shifter in N, but he didn't. Finally engaged after playing with the shifter at a complete stop, but as soon as you start to go, it revvs a little, then catches and shifts 2 times pretty quick, and that's it. Top speed is 35mph and doesn't shift past that. I figured it was a tranny. I bought a good low miles tranny and put it in. Figured it would be fixed. It's still doing the same exact thing. Also reverse has a double clunk when put into gear, and I can hear a whine coming from the front. I replaced the TPS as heard it can cause tranny problems. No change... any ideas?? The garage I took it too didn't even have an idea.

This is the kicker.... during swapped trannys we checked codes with a obd2 scanner. Shows 2-3 solenoid circuit. Swapped tranny anyway, reset ecu and Same code shows up. Same exact problems. Almost like we never swapped the tranny. Both trans have thier own shift solenoid . I'm thinking something electrical?? Tried unplugging TCM under dash, and no difference. I'm at the point to give up and junk it. Need help. Thanks

Also wanted to note, when shifting from park into gear, either reverse or dtive... it really jerks into gear. Jolts the whole jeep pretty good. A lot more then normal.

How are the ground connections on the jeep? Ground strap, ecu grounds, battery terminals, etc.. When I'm seeing electrical problems I always check the ground points first. On my 99, all my ground points were rusted corroded and broken and fixing them resolved so many issues.

Sent from my HTC M9 using Tapatalk

Back