• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Starter

Jeep_XJ

NAXJA Forum User
My Cherokee didn't start that well a couple of days ago and yesterday it didn't start at all, I hit the starter a few times and it started right up. What could cause this? It's my dd, and hasn't really been in mud deep enough to get close to the starter. Should I change my starter? Anyone have a step by step? Thanks alot for any help.

-Disconnect the negative battery cable.
-Get under the Jeep and start taking off the wires that go to the starter (remember what terminals they go to).
-Remove the bolts holding the starter to the motor (should be 2).
-It should pretty much fall right out.
-Grab the new one and put it up in there and start putting your bolts back together.
-Re-attach the wrires.
-Connect negative cable to battery.

I don't think I missed anything. It's super easy.

-river

Not sure why you're asking that. Go to the store and tell them what year you have. Unless you're gonna look for one at the yard? I wouldn't even bother with a bone yard starter but I guess I'd look 97+.

Glad you got it together.

I had the same issue that you had after some heavy mudding a few weeks back on my 2000. I would turn the key and the headlights would not even dim...like it was even engaging the starter. I pulled apart the starter and the brushes had some dirt and grit in them and they were being inhibited from the springs successfully pushing them down to the armiture. After I cleaned it with some carb cleaner (let dry completely before hooking it back up and putting power to it) and used some dielectric grease to lube it all up and it worked fine. I saved myself from spending $170 on a new starter.

Last edited:
I rebuilt - actually just cleaned and lubed - the original Mitsubishi, picked up a pos and rebuilt/tested it, keep it as a spare. W/any lift over 4" and 31's it's easier to change out on the road than a flat. ditto w/alt. Have two optimas too. Overkill is not a four letter word.

Back