• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

steering problems

Semper Fi

NAXJA Forum User
I have upgraded all of the steering, Rusty's Jeep XJ-TJ-YJ Tie Rod Conversion. I have put new steering pump and steering gear box on the XJ. The front end is aligned and, the tires are balanced. I have put a Rusty's XJ Cherokee Long Arm Upgrade on the Jeep. Drag link is where it is supposed to be. I have replaced all bushing on the Jeep with Daystars super kit bushing. When I go down the road all it wants to do is wander back and forth. If, from a stop, I step on the gas the jeep wants to go to the left and, if I hit the brakes hard it wants to go to the right or left. What is making it do this? It is getting hard to keep it right now. HELP!!

What are your alignment settings? It sounds like either the caster is off or you have something loose in the steering. Have someone shake the steering wheel while you look at everything in the front steering/suspension.

This is a common symptom of mis-matched geometry between the track bar and drag link. Would you mind snapping a pic of the front end?

The angles of both should be as parallel as possible, when drawing a straight line from mounting point to mounting point. If those are all good, then as stated, it may be an alignment or brake issue. Although, the brake issue would be less likely to cause noticeable pull under acceleration.

I will have a picture for you tomorrow. I don't think it's the brakes that are causing this problem. I can be going down the road fine and it will start to wander left and right. Wife is scared to drive it now.

Caster could be off, should check the specs on your alignment paperwork. They might have only set the toe and straightened the steering wheel, and not set the castor because of the lift. Castor should be 5-7*, but you can get away with 3* if everything else is real good. Castor gives a little resistance to turning (just a little) and so causes the steering wheel to come back to center, not enough castor eliminates a "feel of center" and so the vehicle tends to wander.

The darting left and right sounds like possible bump steer from the drag link and track bar not lined up well enough.

cRusty's is known for sending a drop pitman arm and no drop track bar bracket. Did you replace both of these parts with your new steering and lift parts?

pitman arm has been replaced. The problem could be the caster and I think that is going to be the next thing to be checked and or reset. Sorry I don't have pic, today went bad quickly, I will have one tomorrow.

Drop pittman arms typically mess up your angles creating bump steer issues. A front end pic will easily show if you have a problem by throwing it in paint.....make sure the pic shows both mounting points for the track bar and drag link in one pic.

Heres a pic of mine with no drop pittman...drag link and track bar almost parallel..

WheelinTuttleCreek83110017.jpg

Heres one with a drop creating bumpsteer from them being un parallel...

STEERING.jpg

Last edited:
untitled-1.jpg

Looks like you might have some slight bump steer issues as you are a bit out of parallel. This causes the steering to pull one way when the suspension is compressed, and the opposite way when the suspension is extended.

So, this could cause the pull one way when accelerating and the opposite when braking.

I would advice fixing this, then looking at the caster if you still have a problem. IMO your drop pitman arm is causing the issue. A stock pitman arm would fix it. So would raising the axle side track-bar mount.

The inverted T style steering that is UTK will cause some roll on the tie rod which you can most likely feel. Inverted T needs the drag link to be more level to not feel tie rod roll as a dead spot. The drag link track bar are off a little, don't know how much of that you'd feel, depends on how sensitive you are. The mongo SJ drop pitman arm helps the drag link angle, but it puts the angle on the drag link out of line with the track bar. Pick your poison.

Not trying to be harsh here. UTK inverted T is the worst choice for XJ steering. It has a dead spot and the ground clearance is worse than stock.

going to get it aligned on the 30th. I hope this fixes the problems. I have looked at and checked everything you guys said could be wrong, I hope this is it!

going to get it aligned on the 30th. I hope this fixes the problems. I have looked at and checked everything you guys said could be wrong, I hope this is it!

Did you take off the drop pittman arm like noted to fix your angles? If not your just wasting your money for them to set the toe...

I wouldn't pay for an alignment its super simple to do....

http://go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoAlignment.htm

ok i have been searching to figure out why my steering does this as well. Looking at my angles im thinking it is probably not my steering. What do you guys say?
385640_4439795945958_1948093199_n.jpg

caster is my first guess? Where is your caster at ? that will cause wondering for sure

second is ball joints ? tie rod ends, control arm bushings.

third is how is the steering box it self?

inner, outer and cross braces for the box will help alot.

I would also imagine any rustys steering would just plain be scary in general on road.

Another huge one trackbar. if the axle side bolt , the 4 frame side bolts, or the tie rod end at the frame are bad, then you will be all over the road. try a RE HD track bar , HD bracket with cross brace that goes to the other side of the frame.

put a breaker bar on every one of those bolts and crank them down real good.

Back