• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jeep creeping up to 220*. Need help

rookcherokee

NAXJA Forum User
So recently the heep has been creeping up to 220* while driving for about 30 minutes or so but never really goes further and overheats. Any reason for this to be happening? I just don't want this to cause a problem for me in the future. Anything I can do to not have this happen and the keep the temp down? Any help would be great! Thanks!

What kind of driving? Stop and go? Highway speeds?

Year? Engine? Trans?

Have you checked to see if your stock e-fan was turning on? CTS could be on the fritz, wiring, etc. Try turning on your A/C and or defreost and see if the fan turns on at all.

Your temps are running 100+ outside right now correct? Considering where you are and the time of year, high side of normal. I don't think you have a major problem but check you hoses, check your fan clutch, check the electric fan.. Service the system, Change your coolant, TStat 190deg, and radiator cap.

If it's over 80, it drives between 200-210. Below 80, it's 190-20.

In traffic/idling, it gets up there, esp when it's warm out. I've seen 226 on scangauge as well.

If it isn't boiling over, you are probably fine. Temp gauges are notoriously inacurate. My stroker has always read in the 220 range and has never boiled over. Just make sure you keep good radiator cap (18lb) on it. A radiator cap should be changed about every two years. Flush the coolant at the same time.

You could have some air trapped in the cooling system--especially if it is a closed system (never did see an answer to the questions on year/engine).

If it only creeps up at idle/stop and go, and the system is purged of all air, then I would suspect the fan clutch.

My jeep does this too, but then drops back down to 210. Just recently though after driving it, the radiator cap loosens up and coolent spills from it. Should i just change my cap to fix it?

My jeep does this too, but then drops back down to 210. Just recently though after driving it, the radiator cap loosens up and coolent spills from it. Should i just change my cap to fix it?

It really, really, really is necessary for posters to give their year/engine/trans, and any other info that might impact a situation.

Open or closed system?

threadjack
hey Joe! how do you like those 19# injectors? i need to change mine out and have a line on some cheap 19# injectors for my 4.0 (93, Auto, 113K). i have heard rumors that they would lean the non-renix 4.0's out some. or is yours a renix?
/threadjack

cheers!

Back