• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ tries to change lanes when letting off gas

Slimer

NAXJA Forum User
My XJ tries to change lanes or darts when going 40+ MPH on a curve and I let off the gas to either coast or brake. It does it so much on the freeway coming down the mountain that it is a little scary to drive. I originally thought it was just the rear Detroit locker unlocking, but now I think it might be something else.

Any ideas on what to check?

I have a Dynatrac front axle and the Teraflex High Steer Kit and everything seems to be tight. I checked my rear U-Bolts on my Ford 8.8 and they seem tight. This only happens when going around a turn and letting off the gas. During all other times the steering is good and tight and handling is normal.

Is there anyone in Arizona that I could take it to figure this out?

Thanks!

23376495_1673890809328005_414733835319847140_n.jpg

It is the locker, I thought I conveyed the same thing to you when we did the test ride(in mine)!

So if I pull the Detroit and go with an ARB or a Yukon (does Yukon make an air locker for a Ford 8.8?) that will solve it?

Yes! How's the temp issues coming?

Last edited:
Huh.....none of my locker equipped vehicles ever had that kind of issue..............and I've had 3 of them.

I've got a Detroit in the rear of my XJ and it does it about half the time. Roads that have noticeable tire grooves (mostly due to snow chains or heavy trucks) seem to be the worst. It doesn't bother me too much but I won't let my wife drive it.

I've never had a detroit...maybe that's the issue ??

It does seem every time someone complains about this, it is a detroit..............

Last edited:
Mine does this as well. It is caused by the Detroit. Driving with a Detroit is like driving on slippery roads, if you don't do anything sudden and you will be ok.

Bad leaf spring bushings make it worse.

I got the temp issues under control with the Hesco Waterpump and the Griffon Radiator.

I don't think my leaf spring bushings are too bad, but I know my shackle bushings look a little cracked and dry rotted. I have stock shackles in back and would like to do a shackle relocation, but I no longer have access to the holes in the back of the body to access the bolts in the gas stank skid. To top it off the gas tank check valve is shot and I probably need to change out the fuel pump assembly. When the prior owner did the top chop they welded a section of iron beam across the back blocking the holes where you would put nut strips.

I am somewhat hesitant to remove the shackles based on all the troubles some people have with those bolts. I would like to at least switch to some heavy duty shackles like the Rusty's.

http://www.rustysoffroad.com/rustys-shackles-xj-boomerang-shackles.html

Some people have said that what I am describing is typical with a Detroit Locker and others say it is not. I guess I need to get someone else in the driver's seat and see what they think.

I have a locker in mine as well and it does that too. I have noticed that how excessive the "steer" is depends on the air levels in the tires, how well balanced they are and how old the tires are. Mine was getting pretty bad for a while then I got new tires and I can hardly notice it now.

I notice mine more at 60mph +, but it's a auto, more noticeable on a manual. Slimer asked me to drive his but I can only operate a auto!

I have a locker in mine as well and it does that too. I have noticed that how excessive the "steer" is depends on the air levels in the tires, how well balanced they are and how old the tires are. Mine was getting pretty bad for a while then I got new tires and I can hardly notice it now.

Well! I don't know? I do not have a locker in my XJ just an ECTED bit it did exactly the same thing for a few months until I completely rebuilt the front suspension, increased the tire pressure close to what is it should be and had an alignment.

Have drag link and track bar different length do not help either.

I have a rear Detroit locker and mine does what has been described in this thread too, but not to the extent it force a lane change or anything close to it. I am just always mindful of what I am driving and don't have a problem...

Not to totally hijack this, but what is it about the Detroit locker that causes this behavior?

I'm weighing my options for a rear locker and am curious if this is something specific to the Detroit, or more common in other types of auto lockers as well

Not to totally hijack this, but what is it about the Detroit locker that causes this behavior?

I'm weighing my options for a rear locker and am curious if this is something specific to the Detroit, or more common in other types of auto lockers as well

It's the unlocking of the locker when entering a corner.
Usually not much of an issue. It is noticeable but no where near as bad as the op said which leads me to believe he has worn leaf spring\shackle bushings compounding the issue.

Back