• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

belt pops off?

acuxj

NAXJA Forum User
My friend's XJ's steering wasn't working so when I got there at night I started looking at everything until I realized his belt had come off. It looked new and I thought that someone had put it on wrong or didnt tighten it or something. So I put it back on and tightened it correctly and made sure the belt lined up perfectly everywhere. When he started it up it ran for a second and then the belt came right off. I looked at it harder and it looks like where the belt goes onto the wheel above the crankshaft wheel is crooked. It's at a different angle than the crankshaft wheel. How does that happen? and can I just loosen and tighten the four bolts that holds it on? or is he just screwed? thanks for the help.

i wouldnt say he is screwed, pulleys are replacable. first thing is to make absolutly sure the belt was put back on correctly. the pulley on the crankshaft is the harmonic balance and that could be the problem. the outside pulley can seperate from the center. look to see if it sepertaed, there is rubber between them that fails and the harmonic balance will come apart.

Are you saying the idler pully is off kilter?
That should be cheaper than the harmonic balancer. That's the fancy name for the main crank pully. They go bad too. It's been awhile, but I remember replacing it at the dealer for between $150-200. Chewed up a couple belts before I broke down and took it in.

If I remember correctly the pulley on the crankshaft was parallel with everything else under the hood. If this is right (I'll check again today) does he need to replace the whole pulley or is there something behind it that needs to be replaced?

Turns out his water pump completely blew. In one of the hoses that connects directly to the pump there was a bunch of crud. I didnt take it off to see what it was because i didnt have the time or buckets to put his antifreeze in but it almost felt like there was blown parts from the pump. Oh and the pulley wheel was so messed up it had grinded itself into the block about a quarter of a centimeter. I regretfully (only because I dont have the time with school going on) told him to get it towed. thanks again for your help.

Back