• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Installing a ZJ/XJ overhead console:

It's not 100% certain that getting the caravan overhead console which does have MPG functions will work in an older XJ. It's really only speculation at this point. The ZJ's of the same era have it, so the main question is whether or not the XJ's of the same era will transmit the information necessary on the CCD bus for the console to do the MPG calculations.

To do this on an older cherokee either the minivan console, or an older (93-95) ZJ console would be what you wanted. You then need to tie in the various inputs needed.

Boilermaker never posted back with his results but a different ECU, or a ZJ BCM, or a ZJ ECU etc is probably needed to get this to work on an older cherokee. I can't say for sure and I won't be the one finding out, I don't own any older cherokees.

It's not 100% certain that getting the caravan overhead console which does have MPG functions will work in an older XJ. It's really only speculation at this point. The ZJ's of the same era have it, so the main question is whether or not the XJ's of the same era will transmit the information necessary on the CCD bus for the console to do the MPG calculations.

To do this on an older cherokee either the minivan console, or an older (93-95) ZJ console would be what you wanted. You then need to tie in the various inputs needed.

Boilermaker never posted back with his results but a different ECU, or a ZJ BCM, or a ZJ ECU etc is probably needed to get this to work on an older cherokee. I can't say for sure and I won't be the one finding out, I don't own any older cherokees.

i am pretty serious about it.
my OHC has some rips in the fabric, and the mileage info would be cool.
im assuming i would need some info from the fuel gauge for the MPG calculator...

One guy started to do this on a 92, then never posted back.
I did post back, with the overhead console only it does not work. Never said i was going to run out and spend another $20-$30 at the jy for a BCM and and continue trying. He posted this on several jeep forums over two years ago and not one person has gotten it to work. So either its too much time/trouble/expense to get to work or it just doesn't. Judging by the pictures, the OP had all the parts available at one time (and may still), so why not just ask a local 91-95 XJ owner to stop by and take a whole 30 minutes to test this himself?

Took this off another forum I posted it on so I apologize for some of the redundancies.

This peaked my interest, so while at the junkyard I decided to look into the parts needed.

All the parts needed. Caravan OHC frame, Grand Cherokee BCM (thing with all the wires coming out of it), and beside that, the rear panel from the Grand Cherokee console is just like the Caravans rear panel but the caravan has rear window switches, Grand Cherokee obviously does not.
IMG_0736.JPG

This is the frame from the Caravan OHC, it was covered in tan cloth, my headliner is grey. Some elbow grease to remove all the adhesive and some spray paint and here we go.
IMG_0739.JPG

First had to remove the existing dome light. Only 2 screws behind the dome light lens which just popped out.
IMG_0740.JPG

IMG_0751.JPG

Then unplug and remove, the chip you see plugged in is the chip for the Keyless Entry, which needs to be reused.

Decided to mount the GC's BCM in the dash. Remove the following panels.
IMG_0743.JPG

IMG_0744.JPG

IMG_0745.JPG

Plenty of room for a dead body, or the BCM.

Pretty scary wiring harnesses for the BCM.
IMG_0748.JPG

But actually only use 7 wires, and they are wired into existing car wiring.
IMG_0749.JPG

The two twisted wires are the CCD bus wires used to talk with the overhead console, and 2 for the temp sensor, the rest are power, and some grounds.

The plug pictured attached to the steering column wiring is actually the Sentry key wiring harness, which is only used for Cherokees with a sentry key, in which mine does not have. This is where all the wiring takes place, aside from a keyed power wire ran up to the actual OHC.
IMG_0747.JPG

All wired up
IMG_0750.JPG

IMG_0755.JPG

Plug for the OHC computer wired into the existing wiring from the Keyless entry plug and dome light. Like i said the Grand Cherokee BCM transmits its signal through the exisiting CCD bus wiring in the jeep.
IMG_0753.JPG

Continued due to image limitations....

Plugged up for a test run. Everything works, aside from the temperature, because i have to run by NAPA and get the ambient temp sensor for $16.99.
IMG_0754.JPG

Next, and the most nerve racking part was cutting my headliner, I had to cut two spots, one for where the Grand Cherokee mount screws into the existing brackets in the ceiling, had to drill some small holes and screw it in, this holds the middle part of the OHC up and tight to the ceiling. Second hole was in the back, where a lip slides in between the roof and the headliner to hold up the rear of the console. I didn't take any pictures of this process because I was to tired to care at that point.

Finished Product!
IMG_0756.JPG

SO....why did I do this? Well it gives me the obvious features of Temp and Compass, but it also has Avg MPG, Instant MPG, Distance til empty, Trip meter, and Trip timer, all pretty cool features IMO, and gives me another spot to keep my sunglasses and garage door opener. Also added more lighting, where the factory dome only really lit the front seats, this also has the two rear map lights to light up the rear seats as well.

Total Time Spent, approx 6 hours over 2 days.

Caravan overhead console $14
96-98 Grand Cherokee Console $14
96-98 Grand Cherokee Body Control Module $11
Fog Light Switch/Bezel $17.50
Junkyard Cost: $56.50
Temp sensor, yet to be purchased $16.99
Total Cost: Approx $75

My only problem is when unlocking the car the dome lights blink quickly and shut off, they no longer light up until i enter the Jeep and cut it on? can someone chime in and let me know if the Dome light wire it supposed to be hooked to the Dome light harness or the RKE harness? I have a feeling thats the culprit.

Two questions I feel need to be here with the write-up rather than a separate thread:

1) I have no Sentry Key Module connector, it's nowhere to be found. Do I still have the option of wiring the BCM under the dash using some other wires there?

2) If I plug the temp sensor into the connector at the bumper, where can I find it's wires in the cab to tap in to?

Thanks

Two questions I feel need to be here with the write-up rather than a separate thread:

1) I have no Sentry Key Module connector, it's nowhere to be found. Do I still have the option of wiring the BCM under the dash using some other wires there?

2) If I plug the temp sensor into the connector at the bumper, where can I find it's wires in the cab to tap in to?

Thanks

I've done some digging in the FSM, which contained much more wiring info that I had previously thought, and have answered my own questions. So, here they are for anyone else who wonders the same things.

1) Yes, you can also tap in to the OBDII diagnostic port, pins 3 & 11 are the CCD bus.

2) The FSM shows the ambient temp sensor circuit coming into a large connector just below the instrument panel, to the right of the driver's legs. The connector is called C201. The pins to tap into are 32 and 35.

I wish I could include connector diagrams, but I can't figure out how to pull them out of this pdf. So, obviously the FSM will still need to be referenced when doing this.

My only problem is when unlocking the car the dome lights blink quickly and shut off, they no longer light up until i enter the Jeep and cut it on? can someone chime in and let me know if the Dome light wire it supposed to be hooked to the Dome light harness or the RKE harness? I have a feeling thats the culprit.

Same thing happened to me! It was only after I wired in the BCM though, I think maybe the BCM is conflicting the RKE. Did you ever figure this out?

Huge thanks to the OP for doing the hard part for me. holy crap.

I did post back, with the overhead console only it does not work. Never said i was going to run out and spend another $20-$30 at the jy for a BCM and and continue trying. He posted this on several jeep forums over two years ago and not one person has gotten it to work. So either its too much time/trouble/expense to get to work or it just doesn't. Judging by the pictures, the OP had all the parts available at one time (and may still), so why not just ask a local 91-95 XJ owner to stop by and take a whole 30 minutes to test this himself?

My apologies, I remember talking about it, but not on what the outcome was.

Same thing happened to me! It was only after I wired in the BCM though, I think maybe the BCM is conflicting the RKE. Did you ever figure this out?

Huge thanks to the OP for doing the hard part for me. holy crap.

I'm glad you two were able to get it to work, seems like it was the type of project that intimidated most people because of the wiring mess involved.

I'll poke around in the PDF's sometime soon and see if I can gleam any understanding about that light issue.

I'm hung up on the part where you connect into the Sentry Key Connector underneath the steering wheel. The pinout diagram in the original post isn't showing up. Anyone have a copy of one? I've been unable to find one online.

zluster said:
I'm glad you two were able to get it to work, seems like it was the type of project that intimidated most people because of the wiring mess involved.

I'll poke around in the PDF's sometime soon and see if I can gleam any understanding about that light issue.

It was a bit intimidating, but after I took the time to actually understand all of the wiring, that part was a breeze.

I ended up just unplugging the BCM, and my courtesy lights went back to normal. Seems to me like maybe the BCM is sending out it's own courtesy light signals over the CCD bus?

Also, I think the tabs on the minivan overhead that hang on the bracket are in a different spot than the xj ones, since for me they ended up being positioned just about where the original dome lights and RKE were all at. There was certainly not a nice flush surface there to put a bracket on. They would have needed to be about 6 inches further to the rear it seemed. Not a big deal though, I ended up just hanging it from the head liner in the back and screwed it in up front and it hangs up there fine. I might try to figure out a place to put the bracket though when I take it all down and fix my headliner.

n1nj4d3wd said:
I'm hung up on the part where you connect into the Sentry Key Connector underneath the steering wheel. The pinout diagram in the original post isn't showing up. Anyone have a copy of one? I've been unable to find one online.

It's in the FSM, if you have one. If you don't have one, you should get one.

The plug pictured attached to the steering column wiring is actually the Sentry key wiring harness, which is only used for Cherokees with a sentry key, in which mine does not have. This is where all the wiring takes place, aside from a keyed power wire ran up to the actual OHC.
IMG_0747.JPG

I just noticed this plug on my XJ and was wondering what the heck it was for. Thanks!

Ohh food for thought 97 and up xj owners, I just got back from the junk yard about ready to cry when i saw you need a bcm after getting everything i needed. Anyways YOU DO NOT NEED A BCM if.. you dont care about the temperature. Everything else works, mpg, dte, et, active mpg etc etc. This is regarding a ZJ overhead.

Ohh food for thought 97 and up xj owners, I just got back from the junk yard about ready to cry when i saw you need a bcm after getting everything i needed. Anyways YOU DO NOT NEED A BCM if.. you dont care about the temperature. Everything else works, mpg, dte, et, active mpg etc etc. This is regarding a ZJ overhead.

I think I clearly said that in my first post.

For me the outside temp was one of the things I most wanted to have in the OHC.

Back