• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No-start/No-crank on 89 XJ

LiveWire Jeeper

NAXJA Forum User
Just need a second opinion here. I have an 89 XJ with a 4.0L that's my daily driver. She's been running fine up until this afternoon when I was put running an errand, shut the truck off, and was not able to restart her.

Checked a bunch of things and what it comes down to is when the ignition switch is turned to "start" I don't see 12 volts on the green signal lead to the starter. I'm thinking that my less-than-one-year-old starter module is toasted from an unfortunate pressure-washing of the engine bay. Before I go and shell ount for another one, can anyone suggest any other possible causes or things to check?

Many thanks in advance!
-lw

jneary said:
are you geting current out of the ignition switch?

I can hear the module closing and I get 12v out of the 'other' output terminal, but the output terminal that the starter signal lead is connected to shows no voltage when the ignition switch is at the 'start' position. I've confirmed the starter is good and the CPS is not the issue by applying 12v to the signal lead on the starter direct from the battery with a pair of jumper cables. Under these circumstances, the engine starts and runs fine.

somwhere between the ignition switch and the starter, there is probably a break in the green wire that engages the starter or the ignition switch at the base of the column is bad. check for melted wiring at the switch.

jneary said:
somwhere between the ignition switch and the starter, there is probably a break in the green wire that engages the starter or the ignition switch at the base of the column is bad. check for melted wiring at the switch.

Thanks, will do!

Sounds like a bad starter relay.

XJRelays.jpg

old_man said:
Sounds like a bad starter relay.

That's rather what I suspect too. I replaced the starter relay shortly after I bought the truck last fall, but last week I pressure washed the engine bay to clear away the product of a couple of nasty oil leaks and I'm thinking I either got some degreaser or water on the relay inadvertantly and fried it.

Now where did I put that spare . . . . . :)

Was in the process of pulling the relay out this afternoon and found that the black lead in the bottom corner under the stud had popped off. Stuck it back on and tried the key and she started right up. So alls well.

Funny thing though. When I tried to run down a replacement from a couple of local jobbers, I got all kinds of funny looks and "go to the dealer" suggestions. I would have thought this being a Motorcraft relay that they would be readily available. Anyone have a lead on a generic part number for this part?

Back