• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

is this death wobble?

philip_g

NAXJA Forum User
While my XJ doesn't violently shake, it feels super unstable. On the freeway if you hit a bump it'll "wag" back and forth (side to side, left to right) for a few seconds. Nothing in the wheel, it just feels tippy is all.
Shocks are new in the front, have new rears to go on but haven't gotten to it, the fronts didn't make any difference and the rears seem to be OK but I'll replace them anyway.
The wheel doesn't go crazy so I didn't figure it was the stabilizer, but I guess I really don't know what's going on with the thing, suspension is basically stock aside from the new shocks and an AAL in the back (did this before the AAL)

If you have to ask... ;)

Seriously, there is no uncertainty when you have "death wobble"; your first thought is "Thank God I made it out of that curve alive." The type of suspension/steering sloppiness you mention can have the same root causes, though, and could lead to DW in adverse situations.

fizassist said:
If you have to ask... ;)

Seriously, there is no uncertainty when you have "death wobble"; your first thought is "Thank God I made it out of that curve alive." The type of suspension/steering sloppiness you mention can have the same root causes, though, and could lead to DW in adverse situations.

That's sort of what I figured, i've had wranlgers with shot dampers before and when you hit a bump it's pretty wild.
This is just such an odd problem, I thought when I first got it I was on crack but loaned the car to my buddy and he mentioned the same thing.

The only time ive had what you described happen is when i had no swaybars and bad shocks
I replaced the bad shocks and it stopped rocking on the hiway

Back