• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Will a 89 jeep Cherokee transmission and transfer case work in a 95 jeep Cherokee

Aharris8510

NAXJA Forum User
I have an 89 Jeep Cherokee with a 4.0 straight 6 in it that has a blown motor I have a chance to get a 95 Jeep Cherokee with a 4.0 straight 6 that has a bad transmission I'm wondering if the transmission and transfer case from the 89 will fit into the 95 with no issues at all can someone give me some information or advice

Should be able to as long as your swapping auto for auto, manny for manny. Engines won't swap without some hefty work. Your 89 is renix and the 95 is OBDI HO. Entirely different for a lot of components.

What tranny is in both?

I'm not sure what tranny is in both.

Then you will not get a good answer until you have that info. This thread ( http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1053970 ) will explain swapping an AW-4 Automatic.

Any 1990-2001 XJ Cherokee or 1993-98 ZJ Grand Cherokee 4.0L engine block will interchange and fit in any other XJ.

Remove and re-use as needed or required from your original engine: Intake/Exhaust manifolds, flex plate/flywheel, cylinder head, distributor-less ignition or distributor assembly, engine sensors, motor mounts, fan belt driven accessories and/or mounting brackets.

The 42re is from a grand which would probably have the np242 t case. So are you swapping it to a grand vs a XJ? Can you swap it, yes, but depending on spline counts and cross members will dictate how easy.

The 4.0 L engine blocks will interchange. Use the transmission that is the original type for the vehicle you are keeping.

Last edited:
Back