• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New guy build-The Family Truckster

Worked on the driver side motor mount plate today. The stock ones are only held on by 3 bolts and are prone to failure. I am also going to raise the motor up 1/2" to help with track bar clearance at full bump. Also had a little garage elf with me.

zU4PEVp.jpg

dBdTUb2.jpg

NN9BvOL.jpg

JleFKIm.jpg

Driver side motor mount done and installed. I made a really stupid mistake and somehow lost an inch when I located the through bolt holes on the motor plate side. Should have measured 4 times I guess. I was able to fix it, but it didn't come out as clean. At least its done.
918OdNj.jpg

Motor mounts all done and installed. Of course the second one was WAY faster than the first one. Started on the double shear for the pitman arm. It's all tacked up ready to be burned in. Ran out of time today and had to get ready for work.
ykMGDFI.jpg

Exhaust is all done and. The OEM system was rusted out and done. It was also tiny!! as small as 1.5" in places. It's all 2.5" now with a cheapie Summit Racing "race bullet" muffler, which is basically small glasspack. This was my first time doing exhaust, I'm pretty stoked on how it came out. Front axle truss and gears are next, the I can do final assembly on the front.
on how it came out.

EgWYzRC.jpg

uGDOIaU.jpg

OvcFiUr.jpg

Got the new exhaust installed for real. Started painting stuff and getting the front end prepped for final assembly. It feels good to be getting somewhere.

86OpOaf.jpg

I love the fab work on this, great job. I also like your mini fixture table. I take it with the slots you're able to use cheaper and easier to source C-clamps.

Do you have any more pictures of your upper shock mounts? I have the generic adapters on mine but really like how yours turned out.

I love the fab work on this, great job. I also like your mini fixture table. I take it with the slots you're able to use cheaper and easier to source C-clamps.

Do you have any more pictures of your upper shock mounts? I have the generic adapters on mine but really like how yours turned out.

Yes, the space between the slats lets me use regular C-clamps. I also drilled 5/8” holes and modified some C-clamps into fixture style clamps. Lots of clamping options helps tremendously.

The upper shock mounts are T&J Performance pre-fabbed mounts with gussets added to the OEM unibody. Let me see if I can find more detailed pictures.

You've got some nice welding skills. Like your exhaust. I just did my exhaust last summer. 2.5 summit pipes and band clamps with magnaflow hiflow cat and borla muffler.
Have some things on the to-do list you have already done...frame stiffeners, motor mounts, & SYE.
Nice pitman arm! Also, looks like you've got a future jeeper in the works. I could use some help...send him my way when he gets a few years on him!! Hee hee!!!

Front axle is DONE! I built a full truss and added plates to the upper "C's". Welded out all of the link and shock mounts, threw in a set of 4:88 gears with all new bearings etc. This was my first time doing gears, it was and experience for sure. Lots of trial and error, swapping shims over and over again. Ended up super happy with the pattern and with backlash at .008". I would be able to do it so much faster now! Next step is putting the front end together, feels good to make progress.

l1rNSE9.jpg

6gAIETu.jpg

GLKv5CX.jpg

SPmh1VY.jpg

what paint did you use on the axle?

builds looking good, nice work!

KBS Rust Seal from Summit Racing. Brushed it on, came out pretty good I think. A few sags, but that was my fault for putting it on too thick. Seems to be way more durable than your typical rattle can stuff. I figured the axles were worth it for the better coating.

KBS Rust Seal from Summit Racing. Brushed it on, came out pretty good I think. A few sags, but that was my fault for putting it on too thick. Seems to be way more durable than your typical rattle can stuff. I figured the axles were worth it for the better coating.

Sounds like POR15 or Chassis saver -- Both of those products are not UV stable -- they will still protect, but will change appearance with exposure to sunlight

I did read the description over at summit -- Moderate UV stability -- maybe you'll be alright being under the truck with minimum exposure to sunlight -- worst case is you have to scuff sand and topcoat

Sounds like POR15 or Chassis saver -- Both of those products are not UV stable -- they will still protect, but will change appearance with exposure to sunlight

I did read the description over at summit -- Moderate UV stability -- maybe you'll be alright being under the truck with minimum exposure to sunlight -- worst case is you have to scuff sand and topcoat

I figure if it gets chalky after a few years, a quick scuff and rattle can will bring by it back quick. KBS says it UV stable enough for items under the vehicle, time will tell.

Got an free driveshaft for the front, bummer is that it was 2" too short. I have a lathe, welder and some basic metal skills.... let's see if this will work. Chopped the slip yoke, made a sleeve out of DOM and got it to .003" from perfectly true. It only has 3/8" of plunge from bump to droop. Also had the best helper in the shop working on the front end.

NdaRGtW.jpg

uy2z2B6.jpg

Spent some time doing final assembly on the front end. It looks so pretty all clean and fresh. Anti-Seize has an amazing ability to get on EVERYTHING!! I looked like the tin man when I was done. Also burned in the rear leaf spring plates/lower shock mounts.

FcK1ynS.jpg

kQ0wydK.jpg

E1zvCS6.jpg

Back