• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

[Tech Writeup] Replacing the seals on your Dana 30

Thanks...the reason I asked is last summer me and my Klub did a coil conversion in the front of my YJ with a 85 XJ Dana 30 and I've been having a problem with the passenger side leaking diff fluid and having a hard time finding the right seal to fix it..

85 would be a vac disconnect axle I believe, different than this one. I don't have that seal number. if it has been converted to a non disconnect with a 1 piece inner axle and a blockoff of the vacuum module, I believe you have to modify the housing to accept this seal number or its equivalent in another brand. The early XJs were kind of oddballs, I can't tell you what would be in or on that axle.

can't help ya, sorry.

Bring this back up.I am doing the wifes jeep in the morning and i needed to refresh the old brain.
Thank you mike for this great write up on doing these.I think i'll have my wife help on this one.

I took care of my axle seals today and it was a breeze. I was sort of dreading the seals having to pound them out/in. I used a bunch of socket extensions with the big axle nut socket and they popped out with 2-3 whacks. Going back in I wasn't hitting as hard as I should and the first one went in a bit sideways. I knocked it back out to re-center it and then gave it a few hard hits with the hammer and it popped right in perfectly. I am waiting to see tomorrow if I have in-fact solved my leak though ha.

New seals cost me $32 for the pair from the dealer but I figured the old seals lasted this long might as well pay up. Oreilys had 1 gallon of gear oil for 15 bucks so I have enough to do the back and have some left over.

I've had my axle shafts out and hubs off a bunch of times but this was the first time using my air ratchet and it made the job so quick.

Oh and thanks OP for the write up it helped me a lot.

Since its on the front page, I had a leak on the P-side and just changed mine on Friday evening. After reading this thread a few times it was a breeze. Well, except for the few rusty bolts that were a hooker to get out.

After removing everything I don't even think the seal was bad. It just fell out when I touched it. Pretty sure it wasn't pressed in all the way. Put the new ones in anyway. Pretty easy job. Took about 3 hours for two people. Could probably do it a lot quicker the next time.

Anyway, awesome thread and very helpful.

Matt

I replaced the wheel bearings about five years ago, but after I installed the axle shafts back, noticed a leak from the driver's side seal.
Can I just remove that shaft and use that 4" pipe to reset the seal back in place? I don't need to open the other side or remove the carrier. And if the case, I can put new seal in (only on that side).

Reviving this great write up thread.

The XJ just returned from a road trip with a front wheel squeak and a puddle of gear oil on the lower knuckle.

My ONLY concern is pulling and replacing the carrier. I have ected electric lockers in there. Does this still all come out and go back in in one piece without and issues?

My ONLY concern is pulling and replacing the carrier. I have ected electric lockers in there. Does this still all come out and go back in in one piece without and issues?

I've never messed with e-lockers but the 30 doesn't need to be adjusted when r&ring the carrier... it should be fine. just make sure the bearings races and bearing caps stay on the sides they came off of.

:peace:

Sweet thanks Grimm.

Last question is how to determine seal part numbers. Its an '88. But has a HP non disco D30 swapped in. And any upgraded or preferred seals to use?

just use the ones i threw the number out for in the begining of this thread, stick with national or timken brand and you should be ok.

So.... That red o-ring or silicone between the seal and bearing on my XJ is gone! Both sides look like they have been cut out. WTF.... I love finding these things that have been done to my XJ. My question is what should I do now. I've got everything torn a part and ready to go back together. :bawl:
Please help.

you'll be fine, if its not leaking around the edges where the tube is pressed into the center section now it won't when you're done replacing the seals.

Great write up Mike. Assuming that I can track down a driver side steering knuckle on time I'm going to tear into it and replace the seal this weekend.

Back