• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Project Unicorn - a light duty trail rig

Nice.

That is one of the jobs on my list of things to get around to. I think I got everything I need out of the junkyard. Just need to find the time.

I have come to appreciate that mirror in my Suburban, most importantly for the "Ice" warning. It doesn't come into play much around home, but I have noted it a few times while traveling.

I've had the mirror sitting in a shelf in my living room for about two years. I just never got around to it. I think I'm going to pick up another one for my superduty.

Love the rear view mirror install! Been on my 'to do' list for a long time... just need to pull the trigger and do it. Was the install very tough or pretty easy?

The hardest part was snaking a 16/4 wire down A pillar. Plug them in to power and ground, and then run two forward to the bumper and splice the sensor in. The whole thing took me less time than drinking a cold beer on a really hot day.

The hardest part was snaking a 16/4 wire down A pillar. Plug them in to power and ground, and then run two forward to the bumper and splice the sensor in. The whole thing took me less time than drinking a cold beer on a really hot day.

Perfect... now I just need to track one down at a good price and wire it up.

Ebay. They are about $50 shipped if you watch for a bit.

Make sure it has the temp sensor, and the compass, and that the compass is the correct zone for your part of the US.

Thats convenient. Mine came labeled for what zone it was, so I didn't look into it.

If I remember correctly you just hold the comp button for several seconds and it will show the zone # its set on then if you need to change it you push the comp button again.

Its like you're asking for me to bring it over and show you.

I do recall you recently opened up a parking spot.. ;)

As long as it's not on the weekend, I'll be throwing people out of airplanes.

That mirror is damn fancy. I think that new camper of yours has you spoiled.

I have wanted outside temp, and a compass for so long... And since I lost my mirror in a sand dune jumping "incident" I am in need of a rear view mirror.. stoked that I saw this and am ordering that thing asap!

If I remember correctly you just hold the comp button for several seconds and it will show the zone # its set on then if you need to change it you push the comp button again.

So this is dead on accurate. ;)

So driving around, i get a 10-12 degree swing in temp's. It doesn't surprise me that parts of town are hotter than others, but the temps are not accurate. Yesterday on the way home from work I was seeing 91, but I had the windows down and it was a comfortable low 80's.

Trying to figure out if I was provided the wrong sensor, or the sensor is in the wrong location, or maybe its just failing?

Shocking little info out there on this. A lot of internet guessing.

Do you have any play in the wiring such that you can experiment with some alternate locations?

The one in my Suburban seems to be reasonably accurate. Certainly not as far off as what you are experiencing.

Let us know what you find out, especially if it is a matter of locations that do/don't work.

I left myself a foot or so, and i have butt splices if i need them. ;)

It looks like most OEM's put it in front of the radiator, so its always drawing in outside air. I would have thought you'd get too much ambient heat there, but maybe I'll try it.

I mounted mine on the lower part on front bumper with the licence plate mount blocking sun, snow, rain, etc.
When traveling slow and the electric fan is running some warm air is actually coming out in front of bumper.
I need to eventually remount mine to in front of radiator.
This may be what you are experiencing also.

I wonder if you're getting some air circulating into the low pressure area behind the bumper there, coming through the radiator then swirling down and forward. My chevy has the sensor in the grille ahead of the radiator, seems pretty accurate.

I like the sensor in front of the radiator and low. I'm more considered about temps near the road. They can be very different than a few feet up. Being Texas we hibernated if it gets below freezing. Cars actually run at those frigid temps? I didn't think it possible. ;) I also like seeing road temps during the summer. Its the reality of what your drive train and A/C are contending with. A 100* day can easily be 105-7 near the road surface on the drive home.

I wonder if you're getting some air circulating into the low pressure area behind the bumper there, coming through the radiator then swirling down and forward. My chevy has the sensor in the grille ahead of the radiator, seems pretty accurate.

I'd been meaning to call you and ask where the chevy's sensor was, as this is a mirror and sensor out of your same truck.

I guess its time for a relocation project.

Back