• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Comp 68-232-4 Cam

rav

NAXJA Forum User
Hi Guys;
I have been looking for which cam i need to order for my 99 4.6 stroker, i was going to go with the Crane #753905 204/216 degree cam, but have heard from people that it does not work well wuth the OBDII system, now this Comp 68-232-4 is the only one listed for fuel injected 4.0's, i was wondering if it would be too wild for my use. Any input will be appreciated.

thanks;
ravi

The CompCams 68-232-4 is milder than the Crane 753905 and should work fine with the picky OBD II system. The CompCams unit has a wider lobe separation angle for a smoother idle and better vacuum, and has later valve opening and closing points. This allows the engine to run a slightly higher CR without pinging problems. The only downside is that peak HP output is less than with the Crane unit but peak torque output is about the same.

Dr. Dyno said:
The CompCams 68-232-4 is milder than the Crane 753905 and should work fine with the picky OBD II system. The CompCams unit has a wider lobe separation angle for a smoother idle and better vacuum, and has later valve opening and closing points. This allows the engine to run a slightly higher CR without pinging problems. The only downside is that peak HP output is less than with the Crane unit but peak torque output is about the same.
Cool thanks a lot, really apprecaite it as always.

ravi

How would the Crane Cams 753905 would work with a virtually stock 87 Cherokee? I already ordered it cause I thought it would be good, please tell me the same, lol.

karter74 said:
How would the Crane Cams 753905 would work with a virtually stock 87 Cherokee? I already ordered it cause I thought it would be good, please tell me the same, lol.

You might want to port your existing head, using Dinos article and Bore your TB to 58mm, add a spacer, go with 19lb Ford injectors and shave 0.010 of your head to increase the compression,and add a Mopar performance head gasket. These should help out overall.

ravi

Well, I wanted to be able to use 87 pump gas still for now, so what do you think the limit is on compression to safely use this? I do plan on porting the head as the engine is currently out, but boring the throttle body and the TB spacer will come later. Do you think it will still run ok without them for now?

karter74 said:
Well, I wanted to be able to use 87 pump gas still for now, so what do you think the limit is on compression to safely use this? I do plan on porting the head as the engine is currently out, but boring the throttle body and the TB spacer will come later. Do you think it will still run ok without them for now?
You should be fine, since the head is out make sure you do a good porting job as well as a 3 angle valve job.

ravi

karter74 said:

The Crane 753905 cam will do fine and you'll still be able to run on pump gas even if you raise the CR to 9.1:1 by shaving 0.010" from the head and using a Mopar Performance head gasket.
Like Rav said, this is an opportunity to port your head and gain a few ponies. You can always add the bored TB and spacer later on to maximize the gains from the head porting job.

Dr. Dino,

You mentioned Comp Cam 68-231-4 on your info site but Comp Cam catalog mentions that it's not for fuel injected vehicles.. I tried calling Comp but the lines were hot and I was on hold waiting for my turn.. I needed to hear about the differences with the 68-232-4 which on the other hand is said to be designed for FI vehicles..

Ravi, I think you meant the Ford Racing 24# injectors

Thanks!

zak7711 said:
Dr. Dino,

You mentioned Comp Cam 68-231-4 on your info site but Comp Cam catalog mentions that it's not for fuel injected vehicles.. I tried calling Comp but the lines were hot and I was on hold waiting for my turn.. I needed to hear about the differences with the 68-232-4 which on the other hand is said to be designed for FI vehicles..

Ravi, I think you meant the Ford Racing 24# injectors

Thanks!

The Compcams 68-231-4 works very well in an OBD II stroker so ignore the "not for fuel injected vehicles" bit. A friend of mine has this cam in his '97-based stroker and it behaves very similarly to my Crane 753905. He recently added a Vortech V2 supercharger and his TJ goes like a rocket after it hits 3000rpm.
The 68-232-4 has a slightly shorter exhaust duration, slightly less valve lift, and a wider lobe separation angle, making it an excellent blower cam. If you want to supercharge later on, this cam is the ticket though the aforementioned cams also work very well.
I'm sure Rav did mean Ford Racing 24lb injectors (for a stroker).

I have 35K miles on the Comp 235-4 (one step up from the 231) in my 89 stroker and it has 16" vacumn and runs fine.

To dig this back up, I'm considering going with the 235-4, and am wondering how long it has worked out for you long term?

I'm looking at about 9.5:1 with .040 quench on custom forged pistons, ported/polished HO head with 99+ intake and 24lb injectors and a borla header on a renix system, 4.7L.

Digging up and dragging out this old thread again..

The 68-231-4 didn't run as I expected on my 99 XJ 4.6 with CR 10:1. The idle is a bit rough and the vacuum reading at idle (fluctuating at around 850 rpm) is just under 10 inHG where it should be at 16 inHG. The spark advance is 22 degrees, engine load between 4.7-5% and TPS is 24.3% as checked using a Equus Innova 3130 OBDII scanner.

I checked the tube connectors for possible vacuum leaks using a carb cleaner spray can, nothing found. I wonder if the brand new intake manifold gasket's gone bad or is it just the cam! I can't spray anything on that cuz it's close to the exhaust header.

Sometimes it misses so badly while I'm driving, makes me feel I hit something on the road. I'll change the TPS, ECT sender and vacuum connectors just to verify. Wait! My ECM was stolen by the bastards in the garage so I'm using a 5616492 Cal-Emissions ECM, but that won't cause all that.

I can't spray anything on that cuz it's close to the exhaust header.

Get a straw attachment like most cans come with, and have some water ready. I usually use brake cleaner since it's not AS flammable, but will still cause enrichment. Also try and do it as soon as the system goes into closed loop, so the manifolds are still as cool as possible but your fuel trim isn't jumping all over the map.

I checked my vacuum the other day at idle, and it ready a STEADY 19. 10"...... something's definitely off.

That isn't normal at all. Were there any problems before you put the cam in? Did you degree the cam in as well? You could be a full tooth out and not even know it, which would retard or advance it ~13* depending on the timing set. Don't recall which forum but someone installed the same cam and complained of poor performance. He degree'd it and it worked things out.

As for spraying stuff to find a vac leak, you can use WD40 or an unlit propane torch as well.

What about the ECM? Looks like you are missing a digit in the part number.

That isn't normal at all. Were there any problems before you put the cam in? Did you degree the cam in as well? You could be a full tooth out and not even know it, which would retard or advance it ~13* depending on the timing set. Don't recall which forum but someone installed the same cam and complained of poor performance. He degree'd it and it worked things out.

As for spraying stuff to find a vac leak, you can use WD40 or an unlit propane torch as well.

What about the ECM? Looks like you are missing a digit in the part number.

You don't even need to be a tooth off for things to be screwy with cam timing. When we degreed the cam when we installed it we were only 1 degree off from where it was supposed to be. After the fiasco at the race and installing a new timing set, we just checked it and this one was 3 degrees retarded.

Back