• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hood Vents?

Incredible Hulk

NAXJA Forum User
Hiya fellas, just wondering who has done the hood vents thing, and what vehicle you took them out of? I like hte long ones and I believe they come out of a gran prix? Cant quite remember? anyone havea write up or direction to point me? Engine just been running a bit hot on really humid days and could use some better air flow. Thanks for any and all help.
josh

One set off a turbo Sunbird (1989)
One set off a Turbo Lebaron
Jeep%20X-Over.JPG

I have a friend who did the hood scoop vent thing. His XJ doesn't get over 180 degrees, ever. If you stand infront of his hood on a good day with it running, you can blow dry your hair. No joke, it dissepates so much heat. I'm probobly going to do it too.

What exactly do you mean by "hood scoop vent thing?" Could you be a little more specific? Any other vehicles to look for vents from? Thanks!

Right, I read that post, but I know that I want them because htey will do what I want them to, but what vehicles have them is my question. Year and make would help. Is that fair?

Some have used the ones from 5.9 ZJs. They're cool but probably hard to find

I posted two vehicles and pics :)
the longer ones which I think ericxj is using too, are from a turbo lebaron (dont know year.
Heres a pic (and my gaugepod, a tufor)
of the installed and painted Lebaron vents. They were positioned directly over the headers. 4.0l guys would prob want to put them in different

bangher.jpg

I found a pair from a '76 Datsun 280Z and they work quite well. It is hard to find these in useable shape due to age and sun damage, but they can be found. I can send pics via e-mail if you want. The turbo Lebaron ones are good too, but kinda heavy as they're made from pot metal. Grand Cherokee and Grand Prix vents look the best but are usually very pricey. I got my 280Z vents for $1.50 each and the local Pull - N - Save.

Good luck!

where is the best place to locate the vents? In the front or on the back side of the hood. Which placement is more benifical for heat disapation?

There will be a lot of opinions about the best place to put a vent, but for the Lebaron vents you are pretty much limited to where I have mine. Otherwise you will need to cut into the hood supports and I don't think thats a good idea.

My hood supports are chopped up :D
but they still have a structural piece that connects the width of the hood.
Mine were put there for direct placement over the headers and they move some serious heat

If youre overheating on the highway, locate your vents as close behind the fan shroud as possible; here it serves as an extractor.

If you only overheat while crawling, then locate the vents immediatly above the headers; here it serves as an exhaust heat vent.

XJguy

XJguy said:
If youre overheating on the highway, locate your vents as close behind the fan shroud as possible; here it serves as an extractor.

If you only overheat while crawling, then locate the vents immediatly above the headers; here it serves as an exhaust heat vent.

XJguy

Spot on :D

Back