• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Monitor touchers

iwannadie

NAXJA Forum User
Why do people insist on touching monitors? I had a friend over today and he is looking to buy a motorcycle and wanted help browsing and stuff so I was helping. He kept wanting to point at stuff on the screen, I asked the fist time, please don't touch the monitor. The second time I said do not touch the monitor, the third time I was mad and just shut it off and asked him to leave, he got all upset and couldn't understand.

I just hate when people touch the monitor it makes zero sense to me, you can point without putting your finger on the screen. It is a brand new monitor too which made me even more mad.

Boy somebody woke up with a wedgie. Yes it bugs me to have finger prints on the monitor but it cleans off. It does no long term harm.

Boy somebody woke up with a wedgie. Yes it bugs me to have finger prints on the monitor but it cleans off. It does no long term harm.

I don't feel grumpy about it, it is just, I asked him twice not to do it and he did it again. Show some respect to me by not doing it, I don't feel that is too much to ask when in my house using my computer.

I dunno - but I usually use the end of a pen, and hover of the screen (I've got thick fingers, so the pen lets me point to something more specific when I need to.)

Fingerprints on screens kinda bug me - I probably clean the screen on my tablet every couple of days (why can't we come up with a surface that resists fingerprints? We sent men to the Moon and back 40 years ago!

(And how about a postage stamp/envelope glue that doesn't taste like vomit?)

It's a quirk, and it may be a "useless quirk," but it's still one that should be respected. There's no reason you need to stick your full fingerprint on the screen, especially if the screen belongs to someone else.

Not every screen is a "touch screen."

I've gotten into the bad of that, but considering all of our monitors at work are touch screen (retail), my phone is touch screen, and the head unit in my new car is also touch screen............

I've gotten into the bad of that, but considering all of our monitors at work are touch screen (retail), my phone is touch screen, and the head unit in my new car is also touch screen............

Yeah, but it's a simple premise. "If it's not yours, don't put your fingers on it."

I've got a kid I'm helping with things, he keeps pawing anything and everything on my desk whenever he comes over. Last time, my wife saw him pick something up, saw the look on my face, and told him "I'm not going to stop him this time."

I grabbed him by the yoke and back of the pants and frog-marched him to the front door and outside. Then explained things to him.

It's not enough that he keeps fingering up everything, but it never ends up quite where I left it (and I've got everything where I want it, I don't have to look for it when I want it. When I'm done with it, I can put it back without looking and get it within a quarter-inch of where I had it before I needed it.)

Again, it's easy enough - "If it's not yours, keep your fingers off of it." Problem solved.

just cover your screen with thumbtacks, they will learn quickly.

Nex time, just give him the gool ol' nut-tap. He'll stop.

While I don't like people touching my screens I wouldn't get all cranky and kick them out.

I didn't kick him out for touching my screen - I hauled him out for pawing anything and everything on my desk for no good reason, and without asking.

What did it for me what I had a loose hard drive slaved in on one of my computers, and I had data conversions running on it. He picked up the hard drive (which is always a no-no when you see wires plugged into it!) and started tilting it around!

Fortunately, it was not the only copy of the data. Unfortunately, the conversions had already been running for 20 hours or so (big batch,) and I had to start the whole damned job over again.

Kinda makes fingerprinting your monitor pale by comparison...

I didn't kick him out for touching my screen - I hauled him out for pawing anything and everything on my desk for no good reason, and without asking.

What did it for me what I had a loose hard drive slaved in on one of my computers, and I had data conversions running on it. He picked up the hard drive (which is always a no-no when you see wires plugged into it!) and started tilting it around!

Fortunately, it was not the only copy of the data. Unfortunately, the conversions had already been running for 20 hours or so (big batch,) and I had to start the whole damned job over again.

I agree something like that is sure worse than touching a monitor but it is also along the same lines of disrespect. I can understand someone getting excited and wanting to pick up and look at things but I never do that. If I was at someone's house and saw a bare HD with wires laying on the desk, I would just ask, hey what is up with this.

Jon, I believe he was referring to the OP, when he mentioned kicking his friend out.
Just happend to post after your comment.

Jon, I believe he was referring to the OP, when he mentioned kicking his friend out.
Just happend to post after your comment.

Just checking. I've been described before as "Draconian" and "extreme," so I just wanted to clarify things.

Wrecking a job that was a day in is not a way to endear yourself to someone, y'know? And, just because my desk looks like a mess doesn't mean I don't know exactly where everything is!

does this bother you? :D
P1070234.jpg

it shouldn't, its a touch... and so are all these.
P1070233.jpg

Back