• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

wont start after arc welding?

If he's only got 12v coming out of the coil then that would indicate a problem right there. The coil takes the 12v and steps it up to the kilo-volt range (IIRC 12kv), and outputs it to the distributor. It works much in the same way the transformer for your house works, but backwards.

i recently welded on my exhaust on my zj, and now my radio doesnt turn on. havent looked into it, but i bet i burned something. its probably a good idea to unplug the battery and the pcm(i have the mopar pcm $300). i will from now on.

yes i have 12v coming out of the coil. nothing from the distributer. replaced distributer and still nothing. replacing coil right now and charging. wish me luck.:smoker:
He said 12 volts from the coil not too the coil, unless he meant"too the coil".
So from the coil to the dizzy is where power is lost?
Or do you have voltage to the dizzy.did you replace the cap and rotor with the exchanged dizzy?

replaced the coil and the ecu still no start. what could it possably be? its getting spark and its getting fuel in the rail. what controls the injectors the ecu? is it timing?

GOT IT STARTED!!! :clap: timing needed to be adjusted so i fooled with the distributer and it fired up but is backfiring really loud. im confused by this distributer do i just keep adjusting it 180 to dial it in or does the computer reset it or whats the deal with this thing?
:paperwork

Right on! I wish I had an answer for you,I was always under the impression you get the dizzy close and then the ecu adjust from there.
Are all your injectors working properly?
Still curious what caused the jeep to not run/start in the first place after welding.

Do a search on here about indexing the distributor. It has been covered dozens of times. If you still don't understand, come back and ask the questions you have at that point. Good Luck.

im still not sure what was wrong with it. luckily i have an identical jeep in my back yard i can rob parts off of so i just started replacing everything. i saw spark after i replaced the ecu but i also replaced the coil right befor and put a different battery in it so who knows. i was thinking it was going to be some fried wiring under the dash somewhere and was getting pretty hopeless thinking about digging thru that mess but once it sparked i knew it had some fight left in it. thanks for all the help.:party:

Back