• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sneak Peak:Rough Country Winch Bumper

Blind Driver

NAXJA Forum User
ok so I'm a fan of Rough Country on Facebook and instead of doing an essay I stumbled upon this photo they leaked

172413_195794083773324_116506625035404_686570_563775_o.jpg

the caption said Sneak Peek: Prototype Steel Bumper with Stinger and recessed Winch Mount area.

whats everyones opinion?

Looks like they're trying to compete with the approach angles of Ranch Hand's products.

Seriously, though... It looks nice, but looks like it sticks out 11" or more.

Looks good I'm sure people will buy it but yeah that does look like it sticks out a lot. Maybe it's the picture but it looks like the stinger doesn't mate up to the top of the bumper that well, the angles look off.

I think it should be 2 inches shorter, and make it so you have to trim the grill around the winch.

What would be the advantage of that? Pros and Cons? If we shortened it and people had to cut the grill not as many people would be ok with that, remember we build our products tough enough for wheeling but still nice enough for mall crawlin. We have to meet the needs and wants of the masses.

However this is one reason why we post on the forums to get feedback and take what advice we can.

Thank you for your support and suggestions

Have you guys ever thought about reinforcing the stock crossmember and having the winch mounted behind it?

Then basically build the bumper off of that to be high clearance.

A lot of the time the mall crawlers just buy whatever the wheelers buy, hence the term "poser".

What would be the advantage of that? Pros and Cons? If we shortened it and people had to cut the grill not as many people would be ok with that, remember we build our products tough enough for wheeling but still nice enough for mall crawlin. We have to meet the needs and wants of the masses.

However this is one reason why we post on the forums to get feedback and take what advice we can.

Thank you for your support and suggestions

Pro-
Clearance?

Con-
You might lose a mall crawler "best of show"?

Pro-
Clearance?

Con-
You might lose a mall crawler "best of show"?

x2

the stock xmember is a joke... if you pull the bumper off, and kick it, itll bend in. a bumper with a replacement one (where you have to cut the stock xmember out) would be awesome for people who dont want to/cant weld in a replacement themselves.

x2

the stock xmember is a joke... if you pull the bumper off, and kick it, itll bend in. a bumper with a replacement one (where you have to cut the stock xmember out) would be awesome for people who dont want to/cant weld in a replacement themselves.

Most of us are scared of cutting. :gee:

I don't think you need to necessarily get rid of the stock crossmember (you'd need to build tabs to hold the bottom of the radiator), but I think part of it would involve cutting the center face out.

Not to mention you'd need to brace the frame rails somehow before you cut it out. They move quite a bit if you cut out the crossmember.

I still think it's the best approach I've seen. I had an AJ's slikrok bumper and while it was pretty good at maintaining a decent approach angle, throwing the winch behind the crossmember gets you the best angle.

22172_533895128140_41902041_31516540_973979_n.jpg

Last edited:
I don't think you need to necessarily get rid of the stock crossmember (you'd need to build tabs to hold the bottom of the radiator), but I think part of it would involve cutting the center face out.

Not to mention you'd need to brace the frame rails somehow before you cut it out. They move quite a bit if you cut out the crossmember.

true, i was thinking about the bracing, forgot about the rad support. and no one except ridigco even offers extra crossmember support. i think a full on xmember replacement (or even chopping it off, entirely or a piece) is too much to ask for a 'bolt on' replacement bumper. but i dont think it's too much to make one that REQUIRES trimming of the grill to fit a winch. not too much that you'd need to clock it, but an inch and a half is not a lot to ask from removing a small part of the grill, but it IS a lot that you gain in approach angle.

now that i think about it, adding a winch mount for behind the xmember, cutting the factory winch access hole (thats what that big hole is btw...) and some reinforcement here and there isnt a huge deal.

bolts from the new brace in front of the xmember, through drilled holes in teh stock xmember, into nuts welded to the new winch mount behind the xmember. bolt the front reinformcement plate to the two forward most factory bumper mount holes as well.

def doable to make a kit out of

That'd be a sweet kit.

Im not opposed to welding stuff in, it's usually making the parts like that, that sucks.

And you're right, my rigidco crossmember brace seems to be unique.

it does stick out too much for my tastes, thought i'm more of the build it myself kind of person.
for the majority of people out there looking for bolt on stuff. i think it's nice. has way nicer lines than some of the aftermarket bumpers.

i think it's a good idea from a mass production/distribution point of view.

Back