• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone that hasn't adjusted their Throttle Valve cable do it. WOW.

crazycracka

NAXJA Forum User
So I posted on here months ago about my Transmission acting weird. In 1-2 selection it would stay in first and not shift to 2nd. In 3 selection it would shift into 4th gear instead of stopping at 3rd. In OD it would shift into OD at like 35 and would have to almost floor it to get it out of OD.

Anyways I never got any clear answers on why it would do that. I did some searching and came across a posting on adjusting the TV Cable(Throttle Valve). So today opened the hood took 2 seconds and it was done. Drove it around the block and WOW night and day. 1-2 works 3 works and it doesn't stay in OD. Push on the pedal just a little and it smoothly shifts down.

So anyone that hasn't checked/adjusted the cable or anyone that is having weird tranny problems Adjust that cable first.

How to from Alldata:

1. Shift transmission into Park, shut engine off and raise hood.

l_212e9a7c94354546b75bf28aac139153.gif

2. Press cable release button.

l_0d370ca4a04c48888b834510cc3529a2.gif

3.Push cable conduit back into cable sheath as far as possible.
4.Rotate lever on throttle body to wide open throttle position. Cable will ratchet to correct adjustment point as lever is rotated.
Super easy and worth checking. Sorry if this is in the wrong area.

Re: Anyone that hasn't adjusted there Throttle Valve cable do it. WOW.

interesting... i will have to try it out, since i drop to OD at 40 with 4.56's on 33's. t

thanks!!!

ooh! i'm gonna go try that! mine stays in overdrive, then i hafta floor it to get it to downshift to make it up hills. i bet this will fix it! what year is your jeep?

This was done on my 1990 4.0.. hope this helps others too. Was something I never thought of and took a lot of reading to accidentally run into it, lol.

Wel.. the 1-2 shift is computer controlled and does nto usually engage til something like 45-4800 rpm.

I just ran out and did this on my 88' and wow what a differance! Thanks for the info.:cheers:

Wel.. the 1-2 shift is computer controlled and does nto usually engage til something like 45-4800 rpm.

That what i was told months ago, so I tryed revving it out a few times and still no shift. Now it shifts into second just like it normally would.

Some may not have as good of results as I did as mine was about a half inch out of adjustment.

ha! it made quite a difference on mine as well! i had problems going up hills, to where i had to floor it to make it down shift, and now, i just barely hit the gas, and it acts how i want it to. good stuff! thanks for posting this!

ha! it made quite a difference on mine as well! i had problems going up hills, to where i had to floor it to make it down shift, and now, i just barely hit the gas, and it acts how i want it to. good stuff! thanks for posting this!

No Problem. Just my first attempt at helping rather than being helped on this forum..:lecture:

dude! this was nice!!! i just did it, and it took all the slack out of my pedal and made everything smoother. it was out of adjustment by probably3/8 inch.

definatly a helpful post

Did you do this on a 99?

sure did! it may be a 99, but i have over 250k on the thing.

So are you suppose to hold the release button down while opening the throttle ?

Or release the release button after you move the conduit back in the sleeve and then rotate the throttle to wide open
If this is the case my cable only makes one ratchet sound and stops, throttle does not go to wide open but stops at half throttle

release the release button after you move the conduit back in the sleeve and then rotate the throttle to wide open
If this is the case my throttle does not go to wide open but stops at half throttle

this^

it was stiff on mine too. you may want to shoot some lube in it, i just pushed hard on the throttle and it went.

What i did was push the release button and pull the cable from the engine side and it slides back. Then release the button and open the throttle. Should here a little click at WOT and your done.

Back