• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Balance Beads

Have you checked the tires and rims for run-out?

This coordinates with something Chickenbot said last page when asked if the issue was around before he changed wheels/tires:
"No there wasn't. It rode smooth as glass. I've put the stock wheels and tires back on just to make sure it wasn't something else and shes back to ridding smooth."

So, el-cheapo tires and "new" wheels (which are seriously filthy looking with caked on matter... but "new". Maybe just "new to you"?)
As we say at work: "There's your problem".

You do not have a balance issue. You have a poorly-manufactured tire and/or wheel problem, sounds like to me.

No amount of balance media, or balance method, will fix that. I believe RCP PHX has struck the nail firmly on the head- seems you have a runout/roundness problem. That's where I'd be focusing my efforts. Not much you can do there, to my knowledge, except get better gear.

Last edited:
This coordinates with something Chickenbot said last page when asked if the issue was around before he changed wheels/tires:
"No there wasn't. It rode smooth as glass. I've put the stock wheels and tires back on just to make sure it wasn't something else and shes back to ridding smooth."

So, el-cheapo tires and "new" wheels (which are seriously filthy looking with caked on matter)
As we say at work: "There's your problem".

You do not have a balance issue. You have a poorly-manufactured tire and/or wheel problem, sounds like to me.

No amount of balance media, or balance method, will fix that. I believe RCP PHX has struck the nail firmly on the head- seems you have a runout/roundness problem. That's where I'd be focusing my efforts. Not much you can do there, to my knowledge, except get better gear.

I have had tires trued before by a shop that handles semi truck tires, but not sure if that is still something that is offered anymore. This was back in 1985, and they take a lot of rubber off the tread to true it up.

Yeah, put the rear axle up on jackstands, put it in gear, and then get out and watch the tires spin. If there's much wobble at all, balancing isn't going to fix it.

Good catch on the last two posts, gents. I wasn't aware of tire truing, and hadn't thought to test runout visually.

So I’m waiting for the UPS guy to drop off my brand new 31x10.5x15 BFG A/T KO2’s that will be mounted on brand new ARE Outlaw 1’s. I don’t want to muck up the shiny new wheels with lead weights. After reading this thread it sounds like balance beads are the way to go. Can someone convince me this is the ticket? I’m thinking of using lead bird shot as the media. I fear steel BB’s will hurt the rim, and have read in several other places that glass beads will just turn to dust over time.

I used Airsoft bbs. The first time, I think I used some biodegradable version. They worked fine. When I switched tires (went bigger) the bbs still looked good, but I noticed a lot of dust in the tires. So I guess the bbs must have disintegrated somewhat. After that, I used a non-biodegradable version. I recently switched tires again after a few years of use (bigger still) and there was no dust and the bbs looked brand spanking new.

I'd avoid lead. That shit's toxic. But you know that. Also, I can't really see how any type of bbs would hurt the rim; centrifical force keeps them pretty much on the rubber.

I have run both steel (copper washed) bbs and airsoft bbs.

Both worked exceptionally well. Neither damaged the tire or wheel.

There is no further need for thought or hand-wringing. Run them.

Running lead is a SUPER bad idea. You don't want lead poisoning, and dealing with that crap is a super easy way to get it. (I have had friends get it from handling cast lead bullets, and anything you put in a tire for this purpose will be smaller going in, and mostly dust coming out).

Don't overthink this.

Thanks burntkat. Just what I wanted to here! Grabbed some copper plated ones on my way home from work today. Tires come tomorrow. We’ll see if I can get em mounted up by the weekend.

Finally got a chance to mount up my tires today. I put 10oz of copper plated bb’s in each. No wheel weights. Initial impression is good. I got it up to nearly 80 on my way home and no vibes! I hear them tumbling as I come to a stop. I’ll probably just tune it out in time.

I'm pleased to hear it seems to be working for you. I have taken to static balance with a bubble balancer to do the lion's share of the work, with a Centramatic balancer installed to do the rest, actively. Works exceptionally well, with the problem that the average tire shop guy is too ****ing stupid to understand it and will screw it up if tbey are allowed access. This is why I do my own work, though.

With me looking to go to beadlocks, static balance may be out of the question, so I will likely return to BBs in the tire for most of tbe work.

Be careful using BBs in beadlocks...some wheel makers recommend NOT using them, especially on those that use an inner sleeve for double locks.

Something about the BBs getting caught inside the sleeve (between the sleeve and rim vice sleeve and tire) and actually making the problem worse.

That won't be a concern. I'm the maker.

I do wish someone made a HMMWV style, 3-piece lock, in a size other than 16.5, however.

Back