• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil Filter - Silly ideas

BulletMaker

NAXJA Forum User
So one of the things that has always stuck in my head over the several XJ's I've owned over the years, is on my first one, I had a filter that was much larger (taller) than the regular PH/ST/etc 3985 filter. From what I can tell, the 3985 is essentially a filter I'm stuck with, however this filter is becoming less common, however it's dimensionally identical to the PH16 (3/4x16TPI) or the PH8A (3/4x16) is taller, but has the same size seal.

So the question is, is it even possible to replace the center stem? (apparently it's called the nipple) I have that funny feeling it has a 20x1.5mm thread on the back end, which means I need something with a 20x1.5 on one end, and a 3/4-16 on the other.

FN1-1000.jpg

As it turns out, I was thinking about this because I'm in the midst of doing an oil change, so for S&G I grabbed a 7/8" deep well socket, and popped off the nipple. Hey guess what? The threads on the back end.. 3/4-16

So apparently once again the combination of british and french engineering jammed into an american vehicle, created a lot of things that made zero sense.

Reminds me of this joke:

Hell is Where:
The British are the chefs
The Swiss are the lovers
The French are the mechanics
The Italians make everything run on time
And the Germans are the police

What year XJ?

On my 98', and 01' I used a PH16 size on my 4.0Ls.

My 06' Wrangler has a 90 deg adapter, and I run the larger PH-8 style.

I run a wix 51515 in all of my jeeps. It's quite a bit larger than stock, and they're made in the USA :us:

derp sorry, yes it's renix, 1990 4.0

So despite the other write up, which didn't come up when doing a google site:naxja.org search, a few notes:

If you have a 7/8" deep well, you don't need to take the oil filter housing off, because you don't have to cut the other oil filter nipple off and then you don't have to clean the housing with break cleaner to get the metal filings out.

Once you get around that, it's a 2 min job that can be done during any oil change.

Last edited:
You can swap in a HO vintage OFA to use the late model filter or any that fit.

I run a wix 51515 in all of my jeeps. It's quite a bit larger than stock, and they're made in the USA :us:

Thats what i use on the 2001 ..

On the 85 beater its got whatever came on it lol...
It will get changed now that its on my mind though.

I've done it on all 3 of my Renix Jeeps. Change the nipple.

53007563AB costs about $6 from the dealer.

Or just grab one at the JY. But, be forewarned that the wrench size is different on the later nipple. Bigger than the HO by 1/16" 1/8" so make sure you have the right wrench. You can only guess how I know this.

I got that part number from the other thread, just went over to the dealership, they were $8.95/ea they are a non-stock item, so I ordered two, one for mine, another for the wife's project jeep. Also picked up two STP 8A filters and 3 5Q bottles of 5W40 NexGen a set of plugs, plug wires, and a cap and rotor. So now I have all the stuff for the next round of maintenance.

I'm currently down in socal, setting up stuff for the final move back up to WA (finally rented my own shop), thinking about craigslisting another renix jeep for a project/donor vehicle. My current jeep is going to hit 250K today (about 45 miles short right now), and I know these things don't last forever without a lot of very invasive maintenance, it's currently burning about 1qt of oil per 1k miles, but that's only going to get worse in the next 100k.

Man, everyone is a critic when you don't use the most premium of parts! :)

Yea, I'm not a huge fan of STP filters either, but that's what they had (vatozone), the alternative was fram. But my buddy works there and they were $2. As a consequence I change my oil religiously every 3500 miles.

Not an area to skimp. They're almost as bad, if not as bad as Fram. Use a Napa Silver if you wanna cheap out on maintaining your engine.

And what makes you think it makes a difference?

It doesn't.

And here's a tip to those of you who care, the purolator filters from Walmart are made to a higher standard than any other filter out there. And they are cheaper.

And here's a tip to those of you who care, the purolator filters from Walmart are made to a higher standard than any other filter out there. And they are cheaper.

not doubting your assertion, just wanting some reason to believe it-- you got something that shows that a Purolator is "made to a higher standard than any other filter?"

I guess I'm just old school when it comes to certain things, if it ain't broke, don't fix, if it is broke fix immediately. This has definitely been my approach to oil filtration, and the main impetus for this current mod is allowing me to use cheaper/more available 8A filters.

Also, given the high temperatures over the last few days, my jeep is clearly getting pissed at me for running 10w30, or maybe it's a cup low on anti-freeze, or maybe it likes sitting in the drive-thru at mcdonalds getting coffee for the wife as much as I do (not much clearly). But it sure seems to be running warm, and is not happy about it.

So, since everyone clearly has an opinion, and after reading a whole bunch of posts tonight, it seems WIX is the personal favorite filter brand, unless I'm mistaken? For completeness, the WIX 51515 is the equivalent package size to the 8A filter, what's the equivalent to the PH16? Looks like it's a 51085 anyone confirm this?

Back