• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

moving alt to ac mount

I want to do something like yours, only I want to add an automatic tensioner between the upper alt and the crank pulley. That way, you don't have to mess with the devil-born powersteering pump adjustment.

Top pic: yellow line is straight from alt to crank (your old pic). Green is where the pulley would be and the blue is the spring loaded arm that would come off of the front of the pulley and not the back like some due to clearance with the timing cover.

altpaintaj7.jpg

Closer more detailed pic shows yellow path of belt routing and the red circle are bolts you could use for mounting points of the tensioner possibly:

pulleyadd.jpg

definatly post up with some pics.. i would love to see that .

Just wanted to give a little update on this since it's been a few weeks.
Everything is well,no problems at all.This was definately a super easy and cheap mod......one of my favorites so far!!!

Thanks for the update, I will be doing this in the a.m., since I don't feel like screwing with the older 258 bracket set any more that I was trying to use. You can get the mech. fan to work with that set-up, but you have trim the A/C bracket down big time so that you have a "plate" that mounts using the top 2 holes to retain the mech. fan. and I am tired of using a hack-saw to cut the bracket down.

Yeah, it is pretty in depth. thanks.

bringing this thread back from the dead. anyway the original poster could fix his putfile account. im midway through this mod right now, and im not seeing how the original alt. bracket is supposed to work

thanks

First; forgive me gent's as I'm off topic but since there are so many guru's on this particular thread...

1) does anyone have the link for the DUAL upper mounted a/c & O.b.a system using another stock ac compressor?

2) maybe stupid q. but if mounting dual alts like shown earlier in this thread....can you hook both up to a winch for increased winch output and/or longer winching time??? example would be at full winch draw output (what like 400 amps??) would two alts be bennificial to reduce battery drain?

Thanks for the input fellas!

sorry , my putfile account is all f'ed up. here are the pics from the alt relocation

100_1699-1.jpg

100_1700.jpg

100_1702.jpg

IMG]http://i405.photobucket.com/albums/pp138/rubix_xj/alt%20relocation/100_1704.jpg[/IMG]

here are some more

100_1705.jpg

100_1706.jpg

100_1707.jpg

100_1700.jpg

100_1712.jpg

100_1713.jpg

hope the pics help

I'm a little torn on if i should do this mod or if it would be more valuable to turn the AC into an onboard air compressor... with all the armor I'm not worried about dead weight the ac system adds to my rig. Pros? Cons?

outlander said:
you will be dead weight when your alt. dies from being dragged through the mud.....
I love this mod. I wish I would've done it years ago.

i have to agree with you here i have yet to do this mod but it on my winter to do list. I have had to replace 3 alt.

ok im attempting this mod in the next couple weeks .........................

i have a 88 xj dual elec fans 4.0L

i understand the bracket for the back of it i need more frontal shots pleaseeeeeeeeee
i want to run dual batterys to how would i do the wiring ideas please

ok im attempting this mod in the next couple weeks .........................

i have a 88 xj dual elec fans 4.0L

i understand the bracket for the back of it i need more frontal shots pleaseeeeeeeeee
i want to run dual batterys to how would i do the wiring ideas please

im not sure about the dual battery wiring. i will try and get some more pics of the front on by later today , what is the problem you are having ?

100_1707.jpg

100_1706.jpg

100_1705.jpg

100_1702.jpg

Back