• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

suggestions for new serpentine belt...cant get the damn thing on

2 bolts on the back LOOSEN
1 bolt in the front top REMOVE...this will allow the pwr strg pump to kinda slide down an loosen up the belt which makes it easier to remove or replace the belt
2 bolts on the tensioner
one almost directly under the power steering pump
one in front...this one keeps the tensioner bolt from becoming loose
Loosen the one in front FIRST....the back off the long tensioner bolt

I gotta pic somewhere of this......

OK here's the pic.......................
Loosen 1 and 2......4 and 5
Remove 3...this will allow the pump to slide down and make it easier to remove and replace the serp belt

pulleynf8.jpg

You don't mention the year but on our 97TJ's and 98XJ it's just a matter of loosening the idler pulley uner the PS pump, removing the old belt, putting the new belt on from the bottom harmonic, alt, A/C, then over to the PS pump, last one I put on is the idler, usually just pops right on. In the case of the TJ's they don't have A/C but it's pretty much the same.

I totally forgot about that bolt which points upwards! I think I remember having a hell of a time figuring out why my P/S pump wouldn't come off when I did the water pump.........

From the "it worked for me files" just in case anybody need it in the future:

I was able to get my serp belt back on one day by taking the pulley behind the fan off, (actually I turned the motor over without the bolts to hold the fan on the studs :doh:) holding tension against the belt, and moving the pulley around until I found the studs. No loosening of the accesories needed. Belt still has good tension.

Back