• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Headlight/Running Light question

zachtyler

NAXJA Forum User
Bought my xj and the previous owner had installed some LED headlights. The headlight switch has two positions. One click and two clicks. Is the first click supposed to be the orange lights up front? I've read about running lights on xjs but never seen much information. When I pull it once, the headlights come on as well. And the second click just keeps everything on so nothing changes. Must be the way he wired them? Anybody know how to fix?

Never had daytime running lights.

PO installed headlight harness for those LED lights incorrectly.

give us pictures of the wiring to the headlights, lets see if its an aftermarket wiring harness.

If it is, should be fairly simple.

I never had DRL's in 15yrs. as soon as I installed LED's now I have them! There was no re-wiring, it's all stock.

give us pictures of the wiring to the headlights, lets see if its an aftermarket wiring harness.

If it is, should be fairly simple.

Well, just replaced a turn signal socket which was giving me some other issues. Solved them with that fix. While undoing the sidemarker, i realized it appears it's been spliced into. Now, I'm a beginner with wiring but I would assume that would cause the headlights to come on whenever the parking lights receive power through that wire. It is an aftermarket harness. Has a couple relays, and the wire goes from headlight to headlight. Also has one wire going to the battery positive terminal. Pics attached. I'm assuming the issue is coming from that splice into the sidemarker.

IMG_0861.jpg
IMG_0864.jpg
IMG_0866.jpg

thats pretty much it. its getting signal from the side marker and not a headlight.

you need to either splice into a headlight wire for that signal, or get a real headlight harness.

yes it will work. that harness just uses t he head lamp switch to toggle the relay and then pulls power from the battery to give the best connection.

yes it will work. that harness just uses t he head lamp switch to toggle the relay and then pulls power from the battery to give the best connection.

Thanks, a ton. I appreciate the help, man! I just gotta figure out the wiring because on the back of those boxes in the picture, it's got all kinds of connections plugged in.

depends on your headlights but should yes

You see the connections on the back of the silver box? I'm not sure those will be compatible with the new harness. I've just got no experience with wiring. Might be easier for me to buy an entire new set that comes with a harness.

they are pretty much all the same. fairly standardized.

where in california are you?

Ahh. If you were 2 hours closer Id' say come by and I'd fix it for you.

Ahh. If you were 2 hours closer Id' say come by and I'd fix it for you.

Haha thanks dude, I'll have it shipped over! Well I've got a couple options. I can try to make that H4 Harness work. I'm skeptical only because of the amount of weird plug connections going into those silver boxes. The next option would be your suggestion of splicing into another wire. Not sure which one I would have to use.

Send me pictures of the plugs you're talking about.

Its very rare someone builds headlights that are not bolt in.

Send me pictures of the plugs you're talking about.

Its very rare someone builds headlights that are not bolt in.

These are what I mean, I assume the other side of the plug (going into the headlight) is normal. And if that's the case, the new harness will work. I hope! Hard for me to even think about this right now! Working!

IMG_0862.jpg

Back