• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

aw4 shift cable adjustment

xSUx SGT BAKER

NAXJA Forum User
Does anybody know how to adjust the cable that shifts the aw4? I'm finally getting my jeep together and i can't get it to go into park because the cable is not adjusted properly. in the FSM it says to "release the U-shaped cable adjuster clamp" (i hope i didn't break the rules with that one, if i did can someone please remove it) but i cant figure out what they are talking about. I took the little clip off that holds the spring on the cable but i don't think that is the one they are talking about. :helpme::rattle:

From another post I just checked out from 2006...

The throttle body cable connects the throttle to the tranny via cable. This controls how your tranny shifts. When you push the gas to the floor it causes the tranny to shift harder at higher rpm's, and just the opposite when you are light on the gas.

To adjust find the end that hooks to the throttle body. You'll notice that where the cable clips into the metal mounting bracket, there is a plastic housing that has a button that is in the shape of a half circle. Press it and push the cable into the plastic section, it should move in about 1/4" to 1/2". Now you have reset the cable and are ready to adjust it. To set the cable simply get in the drivers seat and press the gas pedal all the way to the floor (with the engine off). While you do this you should hear a series of clicks from the throttle body area, that is the cable setting itself. Thats it, give it a try. Hope this makes sense to you, it is very easy to do.

well, maybe i didn't explain the cable good enough :shiver:, but we are talking about different cables. The cable that i'm having trouble adjusting is the cable that goes from the shifting lever in the cab, to the transmission to shift from Park to Reverse(etc..). I really do appreciate that you tried to help though :patriot:

Back