• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Reducing wind noise with weather stripping

96Sportxj

NAXJA Forum User
Working on reducing wind noise and so far it is helping and the cab is quieter. However, the majority of the noise seems to be coming around the front triangle window now. Has anyone had success with replacing the weather stripping there or doing anything else to quiet it down?

-I put 3/8" weather stripping around the windshield under the stock stripping.
-Door gaskets are in good shape I would say they are 8/10
-My stereo is loud enough (must be getting old)
-Yes I know it is an XJ..
-Road noise is fine for now, I want to rid her of the wind noise coming in around the doors/windows.

9/16" weather stripping from home depot: Door shuts nice and tight now.
YRQVnwB.jpg

This seems to be the problem area, or at least the loudest area.
Clfd6Q4.jpg

Downloaded a noise meter for the phone so I can get a better base.

Does anyone have experience with the window deflectors? They look like they would keep noise down around the tops of the windows.
Jeep-Cheerokee-front-side-view.jpg

My experience with those rain deflectors was that they created more noise when the windows were closed and less when they were just cracked. They only seemed useful to me when it was raining sideways and I needed to have the windows cracked running the defroster in summer.
Are your doors aligned well? Any gap there will cause a ton of noise. My windshield outer trim was also loose so I ended up pulling it and threw some duct tape on the gap until I can find a better solution and it dropped my wind noise down tenfold.

My windshield outer trim was also loose so I ended up pulling it and threw some duct tape on the gap until I can find a better solution and it dropped my wind noise down tenfold.

The outer trim of my windshield started coming off on a road trip. The last 100 miles sounded like I was flying a helicopter. I ended up using 2 part aircraft epoxy on it to hold it down. The drive home was much quieter. I figured it was good enough for supersonic aircraft, it should be good enough for my subsonic XJ.

The outer trim of my windshield started coming off on a road trip. The last 100 miles sounded like I was flying a helicopter. I ended up using 2 part aircraft epoxy on it to hold it down. The drive home was much quieter. I figured it was good enough for supersonic aircraft, it should be good enough for my subsonic XJ.

That was my thought as well, but I didn't want to piss off the next guy who needed to replace my windshield.

I peeled up the windshield trim pushed in 3/8" weather stripping and then put the trim back.

According to my phone decible meter:
+/- 5db
idling: 65db
65mph: 71db
onramp: 78db

Going to weather strip the rest of the doors and see if anything changes.

I just went through the weatherstripping process and it didn't help on two of my doors because their lower hinge pins are broken so the door hangs too low. That's why I say you should check the alignment of your doors first and fix that before wasting time with new weatherstripping.

I peeled up the windshield trim pushed in 3/8" weather stripping and then put the trim back.

According to my phone decible meter:
+/- 5db
idling: 65db
65mph: 71db
onramp: 78db

Going to weather strip the rest of the doors and see if anything changes.

I wish you had the starting dB readings!
Also, you should see if you can get a dBA reading (the A weighs it for human hearing as opposed to all frequencies)

I just went through the weatherstripping process and it didn't help on two of my doors because their lower hinge pins are broken so the door hangs too low. That's why I say you should check the alignment of your doors first and fix that before wasting time with new weatherstripping.

I will check them again but i think they are good. This was my moms daily driver since '99 and rarely drove on dirt.

It's a jeep and it will have wind noise so the lifters don"t sound so loud.You could turn the radio up and keep the windows down.

Back