• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stuck in PT 4WD

I

IntrepidXJ

First off, earlier today I was at a friends house installing a 2" Budget Boost, Rock Rails, and a Gas Skid.

On my way home, I decided to try out my 4wd to make sure everything was fine after the BB install. I went to put it in "Full Time", however, it never got past "Part Time" Then I went back to try and put it in 2WD, and it would not come out of "part time"

I drove around a good 30 minutes trying to get it out of part time 4wd with no success.

Up until today, I have never had any problems switching between these.

I have a 92 XJ Laredo with the 242 transfer case and AW4 tranny.

Anyone got any suggestions on what could be worong?

Thanks in advance!

Is it the light on the dash that will not go out, or it is for sure stuck in 4wd. The cherokees have a ongoing problem with the light sticking on...........

Casper

Casper said:
Is it the light on the dash that will not go out, or it is for sure stuck in 4wd. The cherokees have a ongoing problem with the light sticking on...........

Casper

nope, it IS in 4wd. it's clicking everytime i turn

Have you tried moving the lever while backing up slowly? Made sure the the tranny was in Park or Neutral? Good luck.

ACE said:
Have you tried moving the lever while backing up slowly? Made sure the the tranny was in Park or Neutral? Good luck.

i have tried everying except reverse. I'll have to go try that right now.

OK, putting it in reverse seemed to work when I tried it. But then it seemed like the TC kept slipping back into PT 4dw and then to 2wd.

I seem to have managed to get it to stick in 2wd for now, but I would like to know what could be causing this, because i really want to take care of this problem.

Thanks

In your testing, were you by any chance running in 4WD on pavement?

Eagle said:
In your testing, were you by any chance running in 4WD on pavement?

unfortunately, yes......that's why i need to get this fixed. i tried to turn as little as possible to avoid binding

Try shifting it into 2wd when you are on gravel or dirt, some sort of loose ground that way you are'nt binding up the drivetrain when you try shifting it out, works everytime for me.

Eric

Back