• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Monroe load leveler shocks

redyakfly

NAXJA Forum User
Anybody ever try these in the rear of a Cherokee, I am still at stock height and need new shocks, thought this might be a way to stay at stock height and keep the sag from happening?
2000 wd

We've been using Napa Airshocks for over a decade now on our XJ's with no problems, and they're made by Tennecco for Napa so they're from the same manufacturer as Monroe (part number between the Napa and Monroe shocks are nearly identical too.) as well as having a nitrogen charge to it besides the airspring. Best part is that you can adjust pressure depending on what kind of load you're using.

I know, I still recommend the airshocks instead. Atleast with those you can vary the pressure for if you're loaded or not or even how much gas you have in the tank. They'll still allow for decent handling too, but will cause the truck to tighten up it's line if you're going from a right to left (or visa-versa) corners.

redyakfly said:
Simple test, hold a stock shock next to a load leveler. If the shock on the load leveler is noticeably smaller pass on it. Sometimes they use a rather anemic shock, with the helper springs, because of space considerations.
I've had good luck with both Monroe and Gabriel air shocks, Gabriel used to make the shocks for Sears (identical numbers).
One good thing about air shocks, if you are sprung stiff, the air shocks can actually improve the ride. They can be inflated to lift some weight off of the stiff springs.

Would air shocks help out if you are already saggy, and where can i find these. I searched but found nothing for the XJ

Last edited:
I put these on my 2000 last year, they did raise the backend up a little, and help a lot when I hook up my camper. For the extra little price, I would recommend them.

Eric

Back