• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Door hinge repair write up

Gojeep

NAXJA Forum User
Just thought I would let you know that I have written a write up on my site for repairing the common door hinge cracking problem.
If anyone should ever need it it is under the body mods section of my site.

www.go.jeep-xj.info

if only i knew how to prevent that 3 years ago before my door fell off in the school parking lot :laugh3:

Wow, that is letting it go all the way! ;) How did you repair that then as would have been a lot harder?

i had it welded at a shop, and it worked well for another 6 months until i sold it. of course if i had known about this site, or anything about xjs i might not have let it go that far.

Gojeep: great write up ! I have the same problem.. but I dont know how bad it is.

When you talk about the thicker panel behind the A pillar, this panel I need to not weld to ? why ?

Also, should I try to push back the A pillar panel back to the original place if it is torn, before welding ?

Dan

dan89XJ said:
Gojeep: great write up ! I have the same problem.. but I dont know how bad it is.

When you talk about the thicker panel behind the A pillar, this panel I need to not weld to ? why ?

Also, should I try to push back the A pillar panel back to the original place if it is torn, before welding ?

Dan

I have added some extra comments clearing up what you are asking. The panel covering most of the A piullar is very thin and holds no strength for the hinge. That panel is already cut away from the factory around the hinge so you dont have to do it, but just make sure you are not welding on it thats all. You should try and knock back the hinge in the correct place before welding but think you will need to remove the front panel to do that.

Thanks for the other comments to guys. ;)

Good timing then ;) I nearly didn't post that i had done the write up so glad I did now. It is only 5.38PM here Monday.

Gojeep: Thanks for the clarification :) I understand now.. this thin outter panel is cut around where the hinge is welded on the thicker panel inside. I see it now in the pictures.

If I ever get around to it, I'm gonna fix my hinges using your method. Hopefully that'll be before a door falls off :p

Back