• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Whining noise from motor

jeepboy12001

NAXJA Forum User
The other day i had an whine coming from mid motor. It sounded like i had a supercharger on the thing. It was not the alt, power steering, ac, idler bearings, screw driver test says so. i couldnt determine wether it was the water pump or not, but i dont think it was. it was coming mid motor passenger side. could this be the oil pump fixin to go? it has since stopped though. if it makes a difference the lastest oil change i used 10-40 in stead of the 20-50 ive been running the past 45k, just thought id see if it would leak, castrol btw. engine runs well. has 146k miles on it. i will watch the oil gauge and wait for yalls opinions. oil is clear too btw. thanks in advance
alan

What year is your engine? It would help if you could localize the sound, but mid motor on the passenger side suggests it could be from the distributor. If that's the case, it's likely that the distributor shaft bushings have worn and the cure is a replacement distributor.

1990 renix motor, and that souds like a good idea. i will get back under there with te screwdriver and see. it is coming from that area, thats why i thought oil pump at first. i think im going to drain this 10-40 and put 20 50 back in because it smokes at startup now :mad:
alan

Its getting louder. If i yank the distributor will i be able to tell if the bearings/bushings are bad or good? The sound goes away at 2500ish loudest at 1000, not idle btw. i knew i should have replaced the oil pump when i did the rear seal 2 years ago. The sound is louder on the passenger side of the engine. I guess i will try and yank the distro tonight. Anymore thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
thanks
alan

Try to get a mechanics stetoscope (like the ones doctors use but with a small metal cilinder at the tip, you can pin point very easily a sound by hearing the internals of your engine while it is running, good for bearings failure also.

If you can not get your hands on one try this:

If its the oil pump the guilty one you should have a hesitation, at least, in the oil presure and if the dist is the one it will have a loose play on the shaft when you release the anchoring bolt.

Its handy to have one around the shop

SACEM

got that same type of sound, on my 98 with 91000 on the ticker. Sounds supercharged. .......intresting. i guess i should start looking around under the hood and find it.

Mathew

Ok, Took the belt off and started the car, as i wasnt convinced on the whole distributor/oil pump. No noise at all. So i started spinning accessories and the alt sqeaked so im pretty sure that its the alt. Used the screwdriver stethescope on the alt and i can hear it loud and clear. So i am gunna shop for a nice alternator and see what happens. Thanks for all the help guys
alan

Back