• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

decent inexpensive OBD code reader

jeeptorino68

NAXJA Forum User
what brand do you guys use?
where did you buy? cost?

we have a few modern vehicles it would be useful on
99WJ
07 WK
00 excursion
as well as for friends, and will this work for my 92 XJ? or is counting light flashes the only way?

any adapter plugs to buy?

Ebay is a great place too look. Several of us recently bought one for under $25 delivered that works on your laptop if you have one.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?p=245189009#post245189009

And if you've got an Android phone, I strongly recommend the combination of Torque and an ELM327-compatible bluetooth OBD-II dongle. It's a very powerful setup and, at around $30, cheap. A little hunting around eBay for the dongle will turn up US sources on it that aren't selling it for $9.99 with $20 shipping.

What do you guys think of those readers? A friend is going to try the Bluetooth version for his 00/Android, and I've been thinking about snagging the USB version for my own use (half Luddite, no smart phone). I haven't seen much in the way of feedback for these; I get the feeling most people don't trust the Chinese enough to buy directly from them on ebay.

Yes the Chinese ones work. They are light on documentation, and depend on online software downloads of free software and free trial software, shareware etc from multiple vendors. None of us have had to buy the better software, the freeware worked well enough, and much better than a $50 code only scanner, as they give they live data.

This guy has been using his for a week now on a complex duel fuel system problem, reading live O2 sensor data and fuel trim data and engine RPM....:

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1053222&highlight=p0171+code+obd

I have made about 30-40 purchases directly from China the last 1-2 years, with no problems. Trick is to look at the number of completed auctions and their feedback score. I have never had a problem (yet) with a direct ebay purchase from China, but I have gotten junk from Autozone this year!

And if you've got an Android phone, I strongly recommend the combination of Torque and an ELM327-compatible bluetooth OBD-II dongle. It's a very powerful setup and, at around $30, cheap. A little hunting around eBay for the dongle will turn up US sources on it that aren't selling it for $9.99 with $20 shipping.

I love my Droid! Did you pay for the ap or get the ad supported version? Yes, I AM that cheap! :D

Personally, I like the brand name of Equus and Innova over anything ebay. Excellent companies. They are not that much more expensive. Try amazon.com

hey i sent the seller a question on ebay, but for those of you who have purchased the one im looking at on ebay.
does it come with the needed software to run it on a PC? or do i need to download that somewhere?
thanks

PS sorry for putting it in the wrong section, forgot about the tools/garage forum
thanks for moving it

Last edited:
It comes with a mini CD that has a text file with links to the online software downloads. Seems to work with Vista and Win XP.

If you read the threads I posted and Ebay ads they have links to the software we have used so far.

I love my Droid! Did you pay for the ap or get the ad supported version? Yes, I AM that cheap! :D

Paid version; trialled the ad-supported one before buying it. At $4.75 or whatever it is to purchase it, it's well worth supporting its continued development.

Costco has code readers as well, lest time I checked they were around 40$ or less.

i ordered the ebay one, i wanted to be able to graph this stuff and see the real time info on my laptop, plus i can have the laptop in the shop to look at write ups for repairs etc.

got it in the mail today looks good.
came with a cd with some free software.
i also found lots of free programs online
so we will see what i like best

now i need to get the "new" shop laptop formatted and a new instal of windows.

Has any one bought any software upgrades, or found any new free software that has more enabled features???

I know most of you guys like the one from ebay but I have the Matco MD1032. Nice easy little scan tool for checking powertrain codes. You can also watch live data and comand some of the evap stuff on with it. Only $163 off line but if you have a dealer around your area they frequently go on sale
http://www.matcotools.com/catalog/product/MD1032/QIKSCAN+/

If you want something that will check abs and sir codes they offer the MD1052 but it is $430
http://www.matcotools.com/catalog/product/MD1052/SCANADVISOR+ABS/

Question on using a OBDII reader to see what's going on with the car... I know that Torque shows mpg and fuel related stuff.

My gas needle seems to be a little wonky... below half a tank the needle will sometimes go down 1/4 of a tank and hang out there for awhile, and eventually go back up where it's supposed to be. Guessing my sensor in the gas tank is bad?

So... with the reader being used via laptop or Android phone, will I get the "real" MPG readings or will it still be wonky due to the sensor? And same goes for adding an OHC with the fuel mileage stuff as well.

has anyone had any problems with connecting the USB versions to laptops running XP Pro?
my dad was trying to use it the other day and it said it was looking for the correct com port?

Question on using a OBDII reader to see what's going on with the car... I know that Torque shows mpg and fuel related stuff.

My gas needle seems to be a little wonky... below half a tank the needle will sometimes go down 1/4 of a tank and hang out there for awhile, and eventually go back up where it's supposed to be. Guessing my sensor in the gas tank is bad?

So... with the reader being used via laptop or Android phone, will I get the "real" MPG readings or will it still be wonky due to the sensor? And same goes for adding an OHC with the fuel mileage stuff as well.
I believe that the gauge sender is different than what the ECU reads. And the OBD adapter/device reads from that, and not the float/sensor. So It should be accurate. Every Heep I have owned has had a fluctuating needle, some better than others.
has anyone had any problems with connecting the USB versions to laptops running XP Pro?
my dad was trying to use it the other day and it said it was looking for the correct com port?
I currently do not have a USB obd connector, but the few I have had had no issues, other than operator error. Have you tried re-installing the program, checking connections, plug/unplug the device? I've even used a POS Win98 lappy just fine.

Back