• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tj front D44 into xj, why isnt this more common

4x4JeePmaNthINg

NAXJA Forum User
hey all. not having an easy time seeing many of these installs, maybe 3 threads off google. ive been looking for a week and it might as well be a tall tale swap.

is there any reason why the tj rubi front d44 isnt a more popular swap into the XJ?

is it rare, is everyone modding xj wagon axles or similar....?

ideally if i could get one out of the yard. it would become a 4.56,trussed, and new uca brackets for LA.

is this a difficult axle to source from the yard?

really looking for any helpful insight, im not sure why it isnt more popular/ more info on this.

likely ide add a different locker.... really i would just want to build the tj d44 or see its potential when built up.

thanks for bearing with me guys, im not above research, but i must be missing something to not find better info on this.:badpc:
further more does this axle have any axle spline upgrade options? i know knuckles are the same as d30.

another ? that popped into mind is what would be the value of shortening a jk 44 and clocking the Cs to an xjs angles vs a tj 44 build.

current set up is a 8.25 rear locked, hp30, 4.56. im looking to gain knowledge on swapping a stronger hp30 substitute.

your thoughts, wisdom, knowledge is appreciated, thank you.

Last edited:
Most likely the fact that they are a LP D44!

Most likely the fact that they are a LP D44!

wagoneer 44s are LP... people do those all the time. but i would put it as a close second. first and foremost, TJ stuff fetches a premium. basically, if it came out of or goes into a wrangler, expect it to be expensive. its also essentially a LP44 center section with D30 outers. all you are getting is a bigger ring gear.

now... the JK stuff is a completely different animal. unfortunately it doesnt adapt easily to 5on4.5 bolt pattern. your better bet is to also use a Jk rear axle. youll appreciate the little bit of extra width. itll let you use a properly back spaced wheel for scrub radius and help keep the tires off the control arms.

Primarily its that they are uncommon and go for more money than they are worth. If I stumbled over one for $800 or less I'd drop it in my jeep before dinner tonight, but the few that come up go for top dollar, and they are barely better than a HP 30.

They are kind of rare. Also not that good relative to other D44 options, the only [immediate] advantage over D30 is the larger ring and pinion and the built-in air locker.

I have TJ Rubi 44s in my XJ, but they were partly built when I bought them, and it saved me a lot of money over doing the initial work myself.

Last edited:
They are kind of rare. Also not that good relative to other D44 options, the only [immediate] advantage over D30 is the larger ring and pinion and the built-in air locker.

I have TJ Rubi 44s in my XJ, but they were partly built when I bought them, and it saved me a lot of money over doing the initial work myself.

Ditto

I'm running a trussed one up front. Bought it with the brackets cut off, swapped 4.56's and an arb with a matching 8.8 for the rear at a price I couldn't pass up.

But For the price most people and yards want for them in my opinion there are better ways to go.

Ditto

I'm running a trussed one up front. Bought it with the brackets cut off, swapped 4.56's and an arb with a matching 8.8 for the rear at a price I couldn't pass up.

But For the price most people and yards want for them in my opinion there are better ways to go.

The day I see a rubi TJ in a junk yard is the day hell freezes over!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The day I see a rubi TJ in a junk yard is the day hell freezes over!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not self service yards that's for sure

But the dismantlers seem to get them on occasion and want $1500

I managed to snag a Rubi 44 off someone who ordered a Dynatrac, only real way you can seem to get one these days. Rubi locker and all. No way you'll find one in a yard. Have a build thread on here covering most of the swap.

The low pinion factor isn't really a deal breaker for me. 4.10s are a thick cut gear and the axle can get stuffed up nicely at compression. If you're in the racing business I guess thats a thing. But like everything else, opinions may vary.

Back