• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need advice for pressing in axle side UCA bushing for XJ

bradleyheathhays

NAXJA Forum User
Been replacing all 4 control arms on the 96 XJ and to my amazement everything has gone well so far. Replaced the bottom 2 ok, and the driver side upper went in w/o too much trouble...so but now I'm into the upper arm on the passenger side. Pressing the bushing in on the driver side went ok as it goes into a cast iron part of the axle, but the pass side bushing mount isn't nearly as solid and I'm wondering how this one's gonna go. Basically I'm looking at pressing bushing through two circles of metal with not much support metal in between. And as much force as it's gonna take I would think those two metal surfaces would end up collapsing toward each other as the C-clamp + bushing setup is tightened.

If I had the right size pipe and a MIG I'd insert a small section of pipe between the circles to make sure I didn't fold things up.

I've rented a big C-clamp ball joint 'maintenance kit' w/ a lot of different sized cups from a car store for the job. Any tips/tricks/advice on how to get this particular side done?

I made a spacer from 2" i.d. PVC plumbing pipe (Home Depot, etc.).

A hair less than 1" in length ... then cut a section off along its side so that the
whole thing looks (sort of) like the letter "Ω". The cut away section allows you
to remove the spacer after the bushing is in place.

Shove the thing in-between the bushing mount uprights and slowing press the
bushing in. Remove when done.

Cheap. Doesn't scratch the paint. Works like a charm.

Sounds good.. just anything shoved in there while the compression is going on will do. Doesn't need to be something as permanent as my idea.

I ended up having to cut the bolt to the same pass UCA axle side bushing, and I'm concerned about clearance issues replacing it with a regular six-sided bolt. Did Jeep make the OEM bolt with that funny type of flag head because of clearance issues say when if the arm were to get pushed way up during heavy suspension compression?

Hex heads work fine, the flag bolts were for easy factory assembly.

Some johnny engineer came up with that flag bolt. It's a pain in the ass. A regular hex bolt will work fine as RCP Phx says. Just take the bolt down to the local Ace Hardware and get another one.

Back