• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Leaf spring bushing went in just a little too easy

bradleyheathhays

NAXJA Forum User
Been spending the past couple days cutting out and pressing in my first bushings and so far, well mostly good. Got the leaf springs off the 96 XJ and finally got all the bushings out. Pressed the smaller rear bushings in first and both went in using a 2 ft breaker bar and a ball joint kit w/ the big C clamp and cups etc. The bushing OD looked slightly larger than the hole it was going into and took all that breaker bar to get it in place.

Problem comes when I start on the larger front bushings. I get the first one started w/ my masons hammer and lo and behold the whole thing goes in fairly easily with less than 10 moderate blows. Not sure it's weight but it's like a mini sledge. After it's in all the way it feels solid with no movement but it's fit isn't nearly as tight as the rears. Same bushing on the other leaf spring goes in the same way.

Besides forge heating and reshaping the end of the leaf springs is there anything I can do to make these bushings fit any tighter?

What sort of bushings are you using? I replaced my leaf spring bushings with polyurethane bushings and they go in fairly easily (I was also using new leaf springs FWIW.) A few good whacks with a rubber mallet was all it took to install them.

10 moderate blows does not sound bad to me. I would just run it & not think anymore of it.

When I put new leafs in I had to install bushings and the instructions were something like coat with liquid dish detergent, drive in with soft faced hammer.

I'm installing stock rubber bushings with a metal outer casing.

The smaller ones that were harder to get in were the first ones I've done so I thought that was the norm. I'm cool with leaving them be though.

Back