• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone running passenger side drop axle?

ctjkelley

NAXJA Forum User
Thoughts on running a passenger side drop front axle to accommodate a D300 or D20 TC. What is involved in the swap? Or is it easier to do a flip kit on the 300 and stay driver drop? Thanks for any info available!

I run a passenger drop axle, I used a Dana 300 behind the stOck 231 case using a crawl box setup on the 231. the floor is modified enough that I could no longer run a bucket seat in my Comanche, I needed to run the bench seat. Not sure how that would work out in a Cherokee. It was very tight clearance for the drive shaft to the oil pan, I cut the oil pan and relocated the pickup inside. I also have two notch out one little corner of the transmission bellhousing on my AW 4. I am running a very skinny drive shaft to allow it to fit, and it is still very tight I have very very limited of travel because of the drive shaft clearances.if you were running 5 inches or more of lift, I don't think you will have nearly the problems that I had.

I run a passenger drop axle, I used a Dana 300 behind the stOck 231 case using a crawl box setup on the 231. the floor is modified enough that I could no longer run a bucket seat in my Comanche, I needed to run the bench seat. Not sure how that would work out in a Cherokee. It was very tight clearance for the drive shaft to the oil pan, I cut the oil pan and relocated the pickup inside. I also have two notch out one little corner of the transmission bellhousing on my AW 4. I am running a very skinny drive shaft to allow it to fit, and it is still very tight I have very very limited of travel because of the drive shaft clearances.if you were running 5 inches or more of lift, I don't think you will have nearly the problems that I had.

you also have portal boxes, which makes things a bit more difficult for you.

That's true. My pinion is similarly placed elevation wise as someone who has no lift. With 4.5" lift the OP should have it fairly easy for clearances....however the cutting of the floorboards will be similar.

Back