• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

eCheck and gearing

Skibum12189

NAXJA Forum User
I'm getting ready to put my 3.5 RE lift on and I just wanted to double check that the jeep is still gonna pass echeck. i only worry because technically it's my dad's car and he said I could do whatever to do as long as it's still roadworthy. My brother put coilovers on his gti and now he says he's "illegally low". So basically, can a car be "illegally high" and will i be with a 3.5" lift. If it helps I'll have 31x10.5 on 15x8 rims with 4" BS so i THINK they'll poke a bit.

Also, I always read about people regearing and stuff like that and I honestly know very little about it. But I won't have to think about regearing until (Not IF :)) i'm running 33s or 35s, right? THanks

You won't need to worry about being illegally high in Ohio with a 3.5 inch lift (or any reasonable lift on an XJ) in Ohio. Even at that, it wouldn't be an eCheck issue it would be a law enforcement issue. remember eCheck just checks smog, CEL, gas cap, cat is stilll there etc. Don't worry about having to keep your tires inside your flares either, Ohio is pretty lax.

PM me if you are looking for a place to wheel.

Technically according to Ohio law the max distance from the ground to the bottom of the bumper is 24" for vehicles under 4500 GVWR. With that amount of lift you won't have an issue, and in all honesty even if you exceed that you probably still wouldn't have an issue. Ohio police are pretty lax about things like that (I'm pretty sure it is a secondary offense anyways).

As far as regearing, you probably have factory 3.55 gears. With 31's you will notice the additional tire weight (especially if you run a heavy mud tire) and you will see a loss in some fuel mileage but regearing isn't really necessary on 31's. Bear in mind though that your speedometer will be ~7% off on the low side so you will be traveling faster than you think you are.

Also, as 2000xjclassic said, let either him or me know if you are looking for a place to wheel near Cleveland regardless of what your lift/tire status is.

Back