• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No start, I think it's a timing issue

Milford Cubicle II

NAXJA Forum User
After replacing my valve cover gasket, oil pan gasket, oil filter adapter o-ring and "distributor" mount gasket, it won't start. It's a 2000 4.0 distributorless ignition, I believe they call what used to be the distributor the oil pump drive with the CMP on top of it. I marked the position of the pump drive to the CMP. It only goes one of two ways because of the flat-head shaped bottom and the keyway by the cam, meaning that you're either perfect, or 180* out of timing. So it was time to fire her up and it just cranked and cranked and wouldn't fire. So I thought maybe I made a mistake somewhere along the way and put the drive back in 180* out. So I took it back out and turned it 180* and tried again. This time after some cranking it fired, shook a few times really hard, then died. Cranked some more and got it to run with my foot in the gas at about 2k rpm but it was still rough as hell and shaking like an earthquake and died shortly thereafter and set a cel. I read the code and it's p0352, "ignition coil #2 primary circuit". So now I'm baffled because I never took the CMP off of the pump drive so as long as I'm not 180* out from the pump drive to the cam gears it should be timed fine right? I never moved the jeep while the pump drive and CMP was out. Does the position of the CMP to the pump drive matter at all? I found this article which was very helpfull but didn't solve my problem.

Ok, pretend I didn't say anything I fixed it. Apparently the orientation of the housing does matter, I did the toothpic thing and it worked like a charm :guitar:

Last edited:
If it actually runs but runs like crap, you most likely have the distributor off by one tooth. The rotor should point to the rotor contact with the engine sitting at about 14 BTDC, not at TDC as many describe.

Where I got thrown off was in the directions I found (two sources actually) they said to point the CMP towards the back of the engine. I took that to mean towards the firewall parallel to the engine block but apparrently it literally means to point it TOWARDS the back of the motor, like towards the rear main seal. Cause that's where it ended up pointing after I reset the timing and it runs perfect now.

Back