• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

About to order new Power Steering Pump, some questions

Magus2727

NAXJA Forum User
SO I am about to order a new Power Steering pump from Quadratec. I have this pump currently in my shopping basket,

AGR Super Pump Steering Pump for 87-96 Jeep Cherokee XJ with 4.0L
Item Number: 56111.57

The reason for getting the pump is that power steering is nonexistent at motor idle so parking is next to impossible. FS manual says the issues is a bad pump and requires replacing (also I have done the fluid change and if anything it is getting worse and I have 33"s I am going to be putting on in a few weeks)

So questions, is this a good quality pump? Should I buy new lines (return and pressure) along with the pump?
Is there anything I should do to the steering box? Rebuild (where would I get the kit)? Flush?

Should I stick with a stock pump and save a little $$? I want to do the Hydro-assist some time down the road so the rebuilt/modified stock pump that AGR is would be helpful.

Thanks for any and all comments.

Last edited:
The thing is my box is ok... from what I can tell.

If i give the Jeep a little gas and raise the RPM's above 1k then it works like a charm. It was just next to impossible to turn today (had to do a 3-4 point turn to park into a parking spot) and its finaly made me do something about it when I had a hard time parking and its my wife that drives it as a DD...

Then my suggestion is do a 2001' 4.7L Grand Cherokee Steering Pump Upgrade.

I have read a wrote up on that but it seams liek it does not work on the pre 96 jeeps and only if its the newer head and intake.... I did not finsih the thread because it seamed no one said for sure it would work on a 95' with a 95' head and inatke....

For the good of the group, 87-95 4.0 PS pumps mount the same and 96-01 4.0 PS pumps mount the same. It sounds like this one mounts similar to the 96+ style and probably would not bolt on to a 95-.

I just put this on my 95 xj with the 4.0 HO. seems to work great. ordered a new pump from autozone for $116. (02 grand cherokee with 4.7) i did however have to make a few mods....

1. took the high pressure fitting from the xj pump (fit just right into the wj pump... only difference is the inner diameter where the hard line comes in.)

2. wj pump had no thread where the bolts go???? had to tap them with M10x 1.5 (make sure you do them in the right direction)

3. because of the bigger bolt, i had to ream the bracket where the two bolts come in from the back (two that are used to adjust where the pulley sits.

4. i went with the psc overdrive pulley (4.5"). make sure you talk to a tech to order the right one.... two jeep pulleys, one is offset for different years.

seems to have a huge power gain so far, ill post again in a few months and let you know how its holding up. thanks for the tip!

Some more Threads:

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=915103
http://www.cherokeeforum.com/showthread.php?t=3805
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=93771

with only $30 difference in the pump price and the extra hassel in the the Grand Cherokee PS pump would it still provide better performance and pressure then the AGR direct fit i am looking at?

Thanks for the threads on the Steering box, I have plans for that but down the road, I need to get a few other things before I worry about the box (steering bracket & Brace, SYE, quick Disco, new U-joints, build by 8.25 spare axle and do the brake disc convertion).

with only $30 difference in the pump price and the extra hassel in the the Grand Cherokee PS pump would it still provide better performance and pressure then the AGR direct fit i am looking at?

Most definitely.

cher96, Have you done this mod or are have you just looked into it alot?

Back