• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Who's got skid plates?

mojojojo

NAXJA Forum User
I am in the market for skid plates. i wanna basicaly do the whole under carriage. but i have some questions. If anyone has done the whole or most of there under carriage, post up please. i would like to contact you with my questions. thanks.

mojojojo said:
I am in the market for skid plates. i wanna basicaly do the whole under carriage. but i have some questions. If anyone has done the whole or most of there under carriage, post up please. i would like to contact you with my questions. thanks.
I've got the TnT LA kit which includes a belly pan/skid. Very tough, and can be purchased independently from the LA's. I'd highly recommend their products. Here's a link to said item:

http://www.tntcustoms.com/webV4/xjarmor.asp

-----Matt-----

I have most of my junk covered, I price shopped. Rustys front-end and engine tranny skid, Warn t-case skid, Skidrow for the gas tank. I have yet to install my front-end skid but in just a couple of trips out I've put some nice beauty marks in them.
IMG_2326Custom.jpg

PAT

I'm lookin to get the TNT belly pan as well. Only issue is that when you need to work on the tcase or remove the front shaft, you have to drop the belly pan. I dont care

You can get your front shaft in with the pan on, with a socket/extension and rotating it to the right position. the t-case can be done in place also, but is REAL pain the butt with the TNT skid.

Last edited:
BUMP

Yes its an old thread but I thought we could get some new opinions. Im looking into getting some skids, mainly for the transfer case and gas tank. Im not running rock gardens, but with 2" lift you end up sliding over more stuff than you like. So rather than adding more lift im going to go for some skids.

What are your running and hows it holding up?
Thoughts about an oem gas tank skid?
Anyone make there own?

TORX

IXNAYXJ said:
I've got the TnT LA kit which includes a belly pan/skid. Very tough, and can be purchased independently from the LA's. I'd highly recommend their products. Here's a link to said item:

http://www.tntcustoms.com/webV4/xjarmor.asp

-----Matt-----

do you still recommend their LA kit? didn't you deform the belly pan?

to heck with that, fellas
talk about costing an arm and a leg

just build your own
home made is the way to go. and i just happen to have 3/16 plate

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the idea of having a full belly pan like the TNT and DPG units, but for right now there out of my price range.

After looking at different companies and designs I think this weekend I may be under there with a tape measure trying to design something. I may end up plating the bottom of the stock crossmember (search for SteveF) and building off that with something similar to the rusty's unit. As for the gas tank im going to try and track down an oem skid. From what i've read they actually hold up pretty good and you can always reinforce them if needed.

Question now is would 1/8" be enough for a transfer case skid? I guess it depends on the design and how hard it gets used.

Do a search. I think it was 2xtreme that made a skid for his x-fer by adding a second stock x-member and plating the two together.

WaXJ_Skier said:
do you still recommend their LA kit? didn't you deform the belly pan?

I’m going to jump in here since I too have the T&T LA kit. For the price I wouldn’t get the T&T again, and that big belly skid is the main reason.

I believe IXNAYXJ did deform his belly pan, I know I did, see the picture below:

March%2018%20B%20001.JPG

I’m glad I had it on, because if I was able to deform this thing I would hate to see what would have happened to my trany, but still, for the price T&T charges it would be nice if they used a higher grade of steal. I’ve beefed mine up since then, so hopefully this won’t happen again.

Also it’s getting kind of annoying having to drop this thing when ever I work on my rig. The way I beat on my stuff I end up working on my trany/T-Case/front drive shaft fairly often, and when ever I do the skid has to come down. When that happens the front axle always has a tendency to want to move forward, which makes it a major pain when it come time to reattach the skid. All in all it’s a major pain, and would be a lot simpler to work on if the LA didn’t connect to the skid like they do.

FiFo said:
All in all it’s a major pain, and would be a lot simpler to work on if the LA didn’t connect to the skid like they do.

*cough*clayton's*cough*

hehehe

Seriously though they have the right idea with the center drop out. Now if only you could give that crossmember some skid plates and some better belly clearance you'd be in business.

Last edited:
Back