• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Swapping 98 AW4 into 96xj - computer question

SimpleXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hi guys, swapping an aw4 out of a 98 into my 96. Of course the wiring is different. I found the writeup on how to swap the speed sensor rotor from the older aw4:
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showpost.php?p=243739279

My question is this - I have a donor 98 xj with a spare tcu. Would it be easier to swap TCU's to make this work or is it still easier to swap the rotor on the tailshaft?

Thanks

Ok, I have looked everywhere behind the dash on the 98 and I can't find the TCU. Are the new ones a part of the ECU? Looks like I'm swapping speed sensor rotors to make this one work. Do I need a puller for this or can I get the thing off the shaft by hand? I guess I'll find out shortly but thought I'd ask.

Thanks

Well don't everybody respond at once :rolleyes:

The tail sections are different. Left is 98+ right is Pre98 Note the sensor holes are very different:

m76mar.jpg

No special tools are required to pull the rotor. It's ratained via snapring. Note the length of the new style rotor. Also note the size and shape of the 98+ sensor - much shorter and fatter than the old style.

2zizf9u.jpg

Now look at the old style sensor in pre 98 models:

157k65w.jpg

At least they thought of leaving a second groove in the output shaft in case we wanted to do.... well... this. The old style rotor is thinner and uses the first snap ring groove. The second one is for the new style ring. No issues bolting this longer output shaft aw4 to the pre 98 NP231 tcase.
ma9l6w.jpg

This was pretty straight forward to do. I did it without removing the tranny from the jeep. You will have to swap tail sections on the transmissions because the sensor holes are different sizes.

Peace

SimpleXJ

Back