• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rotor options for dana 30? (97)

97babyXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I bought drilled rotors that came with pads off ebay for I think it was $90 or $100 shipped for everything. I did notice better stopping than before, but my old stuff was a little worn too. So, I don't know if the drilled rotors make a difference or not, but for that price it would have cost the same for stock rotors and pads.

the reason I went with drilled vs. slotted is because after doing research I read that slotted are designed to scrape the glaze off of brake pads that form under extreme heat/stress. This only happens under super extreme conditions like racing and would not be an issue for off-roading or normal street driving. Under normal circumstances, slotted rotors will just prematurely wear your brake pads down.

Drilled rotors are designed to release heat and gas pressure formed when braking, which occurs every time you hit the brakes. It seemed like these would be more useful in our application.

Drilled rotors are designed to release heat and gas pressure formed when braking.......

This only happens under super extreme conditions like racing and would not be an issue for off-roading or normal street driving.

every time you step on the brakes you create heat and gas pressure. Just try touching your rotors after driving sometime! Drilled rotors release more of this heat and pressure than solid and slotted rotors. Are they going to be as much of a benefit for normal driving as they would for racing, no. Will they offer more benefits than solid, stock rotors under normal driving or off-roading, maybe. I bought mine because they were the same price as buying stock ones and I figured it wouldn't hurt.

i agree with above, heat is created no matter what, also, heat contributes to what destroyes both the rotors and pads, cross-drilled rotors will in fact dissipate heat better.
This was my reasoning for looking into these.

I've had mine for prob. 6 months, no issues at all. And considering most new sports cars come with cross drilled rotors, I don't think they'd use them from the factory if there were integrity issues.

I have EBC slotted and dimpled (not drilled through) rotors and EBC greenstuff pads. Never a problem with stones, pebbles etc. I also have the shields removed. I'd recommend them regardless of manufacturer just on principle alone. Helps alot.
I just bought an 8.25 disc brake conversion for $440 and is currently in the cabpable hands of a UPS pilot. Now this should really stop the XJ, at least it better! lol. -B

I've had mine for prob. 6 months, no issues at all. And considering most new sports cars come with cross drilled rotors, I don't think they'd use them from the factory if there were integrity issues.

Wow a whole 6 months. And those rotors that come on sports cars are of much higher quality to begin with. And some of them are cast with the holes already in. Besides are you really trying to compare cheap ebay rotors with the likes of Ferrari and Porsche rotors?

Edit: A few opinions from companies that sell brake components:
Baer Brakes said:
Although cross-drilling and/or slotting will provide a welcome path to expend any gasses when and if they develop, it is primarily a visual enhancement behind today’s often wide-open wheel designs. Cross-drilling offers the greatest gas relief pathway, but creates potential "stress risers" from which cracks can occur. Baer´s rotors are cast with cross-drilling in mind, from the material specified, to curved vanes, behind which the holes are placed to minimize potential crack migration. Slotted surfaces are what Baer recommends for track only use.

StopTech said:
Which is better, slotted or drilled rotors?
StopTech provides rotors slotted, drilled or plain. For most performance applications slotted is the preferred choice. Slotting helps wipe away debris from between the pad and rotor as well as increasing the "bite" characteristics of the pad. A drilled rotor provides the same type of benefit, but is more susceptible to cracking under severe usage. Many customers prefer the look of a drilled rotor and for street and occasional light duty track use they will work fine. For more severe applications, we recommend slotted rotors.

Last edited:
everyone knows crossdrilled/slotted rotors are 80% bling, 20% 'why NOT?'...

the facts just dont check out, when the rotor mfgs tell you its bling, its bling.

the added surface area of the rotor, post machining does give it VERY SLIGHT additional cooling, but to say that thats why theyre better is just foolish... same with outgassing.... arent modern pads pretty much immune from outgassing of yesterday?

the holes WILL get filled w/ mud and gum up your pads if left unchecked, they may crack if drilled thru....
the porsche's and bmw's you see w/ the drilled rotors, also have big brakes, something an xj does not.

they do look good... but meh...

those are def a good option too.

do you (RCP Phx) notice any additional pad wear because of them?
thanks
I have yet to see any wear of any kind,but I also bought their matching pads.

Back