• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Weird stuff happening again

LilRhodyXJ

NAXJA Forum User
today this noise/shuttering happened again...
first specs to get them out of the way
AW4
91000miles
4.0L

this has happened a few times previous but never this bad...alright i drove to best buy to get something i was in and out in less then 10minutes id say when i started up my jeep it started horribly..it was shaking the E-fan went Nuckin Futs, and it couldnt sustain a steady rpm...i let it idle and i could really hear my exhaust leak..its a tiny one and normally its just a tick tick tick steadilly but ut was growling like a SOB...i revved it a few times and it calmed down and went back to normal...now i kno my alt is going could it be that its just really on its way out and for quick shut offs and turn ons liek that its not restoring the juice?? it doesnt run hot, it rides fine when ur moving its just soemtimes start ups are rough...and sometimes when i shut it off it seems to shudder.. i dont kno if its what a mighty 4.0 feels like powering down or if its still firing because of build up/deposits (possible??) really need help this is my DD and i wanna make her run perfecto..

thanks guys

andrew

Probably. I'd want to check the alternator (at idle and at about 1500 rpm, both with all accessories OFF and all accessories ON) and see what I can see.

Alternator problems shouldn't cause anything like an exhaust leak - you may want to check torque on all of your manifold screws while you're about it. Ref: my various posts on the subject for tips and tricks.

For cleaning, try adding about two ounces of acetone to ten gallons of fuel (about 4 ounces to the tank) to help clean. Acetone is routinely added to gasoline as a cleaner anyhow - you're not changing anything but the concentration of it all. I've also heard good reports from the field on "Seafoam" and "BG44K" - but I haven't found either locally. Acetone should not be a problem - check the paint section of your hardware store.

5-90

Jon the exhaust leak i think is in my header so when my jeep starts sloppy like this and kinda roars i really hear it, bad!!...

im going to replace my alt and see if this shudder/crappy start persists...

anything else i should do for regular upkeep of a jeep 9000 miles away from 100000? while im buying replacement parts for under the hood..id like to get this thing to be trouble free and maintain it to last me

Check the bolts - the job is free (if you do it...) and it could be an audible leak. I've had that happen before.

Mostly, just stay up on your fluid changes. I've got five XJ's (1987-1989) ranging in "age" from 190Kmiles to 250Kmiles, and the only real trouble I've had with "maintenance items" is that damn Peugeot gearbox I've got to finish tearing down for scrap... Replaced it with an AX-15.

5-90

there's a tsb pertaining to injector "heat soak after short stops/restart" on the 99-01 4.0's. the fuel would vaporize inside the injectors causing stumbling and rough running for 20 sec. to a minute or so. if i remember correctly, it only actually specifies tj's with the 4.0, though the engine set-up is basically identical. i've heard a lot of late model xj owners complaining of the same exact sysmptoms. the tsb involved insulating the injectors with some kind of heatshield or wrap. let me know if you need more details. by the way, that missing will make your exhaust leak sound even worse than usual...

god damn it i wish i had found naxja sooner because i would have bought an early 99...the frickin 00s have so many stupid issues

thanks for the info ten high...where can i found some more stuff on that problem

thank u also Jon and by the way i called Rod today and he said he doesnt have the part in stock so no dice on me getting one..i guess im going junk yard shopping what alts. will fit just 00 and 01s?

actually it does mention 00-01 xj's. the fix is to insulate the #3 injector specifically(i would just insulate all of them, you're already down in there...) using part # 56028371aa. any heat-insulating material should work fine for a wrap. maybe that thermo-tec stuff? if you can access alldata or something the tsb # is 18-031-03.

Ten High said:
actually it does mention 00-01 xj's. the fix is to insulate the #3 injector specifically(i would just insulate all of them, you're already down in there...) using part # 56028371aa. any heat-insulating material should work fine for a wrap. maybe that thermo-tec stuff? if you can access alldata or something the tsb # is 18-031-03.

whoa...hurts to admit, but i dont understand what ur talking about.. sorry.. i just started learning about the more technical parts of cars so im a little slow...where do i get the part (#56028371aa) and how do i get to where i need to put it...chist i sound like a noob...but seriously the more info u can give me the better...thanks man

Back