• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

trying to settle a bet...

The Dana 44 can be found 1987 and early 1988 XJ with the 4.0L and tow package, and in the MJ (infrequently, mainly with the Metric Tonne kit) up to 1992.

The AMC20 also put in an appearance in the 1986MJ, and it may have made its way into the 1984-1986XJ as well (but I'd really have to check on that one... I'm sure it was in some early 1986MJ tho - mainly with the Tow or Metric Tonne package.)

This has been per research in Hollander Interchange and Mitchell Parts Interchange (both shop swap guides used in body shops for sourcing repair parts, although the Hollander is still in publication.) Yes, I'm doing research on this stuff - it's part of writing Swappology.

I figure it will not only be a good source for junkyard builders, but may also get used to settle bar bets like this...

It appears that the Chrysler "bean counters" got their fingers into the mix in mid-'88 and the D44 became a dinosaur (in the XJ/MJ) around the same time.
I've not seen any 44's as original equipment outside the '87 model year, but I have seen literature that showed it as optional equipment with the towing package for the '88 year. I wish I could remember where I saw it......

I've read several places that they were used 87-89, but every one I've ever seen has been under an 87.

87 and some early 88's is what I have heard. XJ stryker and his wife both have 87 waggys with D44's

"The AMC20 also put in an appearance in the 1986MJ, and it may have made its way into the 1984-1986XJ as well"
15 years ago, I was shopping for my 1st XJ and one of the ones I looked at had an AMC20 in it. It looked stock, the jeep was unmodified. I was real suprised to see it.

Back